PMI Automatic Termination

Posted By: hslaw

PMI Automatic Termination - 07/30/07 08:43 PM

Since HOPA does not appear to define what 'current' means when determining if a borrower qualifies for automatic termination, can termination be denied if there are still outstanding late fees?
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: PMI Automatic Termination - 07/31/07 01:04 AM

While it is not defined in the regulation, a borrower is not normally considered "past due" due to late charges. I wouldn't push the issue for a few bucks.
Posted By: biz

Re: PMI Automatic Termination - 12/05/08 04:34 PM

We have a borrower that has almost $1000 in late charges. Would you still consider this a "few bucks"?
Posted By: ahanna

Re: PMI Automatic Termination - 12/05/08 08:54 PM

If they are current on their scheduled payment amount, you should terminate the insurance. Accrued late fees are an area you probably don't want to have to defend yourself against as a justification for "not current".
Posted By: Loynograd

Re: PMI Automatic Termination - 12/09/08 05:21 PM

I disagree.

The act states "(1) on the termination date if, on that date, the mortgagor is current on the payments required by the terms of the residential mortgage transaction;"

Late fees are required payments; therefore, we do not terminate PMI until late fees are resolved.
Posted By: ahanna

Re: PMI Automatic Termination - 12/09/08 08:04 PM

In my opinion, I think that is a potential UDAP violation and I would be very careful.
Posted By: Dan Persfull

Re: PMI Automatic Termination - 12/10/08 03:56 AM

Quote:
Late fees are required payments;

You better read your contract very very carefully. I will bet the terms of the residential mortgage transaction only requires P&I payments and then states that a late charge may be "assessed" if the P&I payment is X number days late. Accrued and unpaid late charges do not put the loan in a past due status.