Acceptable as proof of coverage?

Posted By: #12

Acceptable as proof of coverage? - 09/27/12 07:13 PM

Flood rules allow either an application with proof of payment or a flood policy declaration page as acceptable proof of flood insurance coverage. I'm looking at something from an agent that states across the top: "Temporary Declaration - Pending Policy Issuance." Then a little farther down, states "Flood General Policy Declaration - New Business."

Acceptable?

I think it looks more like an application, and would like to require the banker to get a copy of the proof of payment. Any thoughts?
Posted By: WI Banker

Re: Acceptable as proof of coverage? - 09/27/12 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: #12
I think it looks more like an application, and would like to require the banker to get a copy of the proof of payment.

Agree.
Posted By: happyauditor

Re: Acceptable as proof of coverage? - 10/22/12 04:05 PM

Someone is telling me that when a private flood policy is issued the carrier only issues a temporary dec page and it can take up to 30 days to receive the final dec page. I do not know enough about how carriers issue policies, but this is not sitting right with me. Does anyone know if this is true?
Posted By: SUSANE1

Re: Acceptable as proof of coverage? - 10/22/12 06:30 PM

What is the meaning of a Private flood policy? Like from Allstate or Travelers?
Posted By: Dani York, CRCM

Re: Acceptable as proof of coverage? - 10/22/12 06:34 PM

Typically, a private flood policy is a policy not issued through the NFIP. The only carrier I know of is Lloyd's of London, but I'm sure there are others. Allstate and Tranvelers both issue SFIPs which are underwritten using the NFIP standards (I think I have that right). These are know as WYO (write your own) policies.

As to the temporary dec page question, if the policy is new, you will not get a dec page when the policy is issued. The official dec page is issued within 30 days of application and payment, and that is typically mailed from the insurers main office, not through the agent's office. If you are accepting proof at the purchase of the policy, you will want a copy of the application and proof of premium payment.

Re: Acceptable as proof of coverage? - 10/22/12 08:46 PM

Thanks Dani, my mistake, I should have said WYO policy (not private).

Would you consider the temporary declaration page an "application" and acceptable evidence of insurance if accompanied by proof of payment?
Posted By: Dani York, CRCM

Re: Acceptable as proof of coverage? - 10/23/12 12:30 PM

Nope, I want the actual 4 page application with receipt or a real dec page, but I'm a harda$$ when it comes to flood insurance. Had way too many things go wrong trusting insurance agents.

Re: Acceptable as proof of coverage? - 10/23/12 02:08 PM

I agree Dani, thanks!