Inland Marine Policy Endorsement

Posted By: JeanM

Inland Marine Policy Endorsement - 12/02/19 02:49 PM

Has anyone accepted an Inland Marine Policy with a Flood endorsement as a compliant flood policy?
Posted By: Nicole A

Re: Inland Marine Policy Endorsement - 12/02/19 03:24 PM

I have reviewed several Inland Marine policies containing a flood endorsement and submitted for compliance review in hopes of satisfying the mandatory purchase requirement. I have yet to review one that met the statutory definition of Private Flood Insurance.
Posted By: Jim Schue

Re: Inland Marine Policy Endorsement - 12/02/19 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Nicole A
I have reviewed several Inland Marine policies containing a flood endorsement and submitted for compliance review in hopes of satisfying the mandatory purchase requirement. I have yet to review one that met the statutory definition of Private Flood Insurance.

Out of curiosity, which pieces needed to satisfy the purchase requirements weren't present?

Re: Inland Marine Policy Endorsement - 12/02/19 03:59 PM

The policy I have doesn't include the following:
1. A requirement for the insurer to give written notice 45 days before cancellation.
2. Information about the availability of flood insurance coverage under the NFIP.
3. A provision requiring an insured to file suit not later than one year.
4. Definition of the term flood.
Posted By: Jim Schue

Re: Inland Marine Policy Endorsement - 12/02/19 04:14 PM

I'd have no problem rejecting that policy.

Re: Inland Marine Policy Endorsement - 12/02/19 04:16 PM

Thanks for the help!
Posted By: Nicole A

Re: Inland Marine Policy Endorsement - 01/02/20 02:08 PM

All of the items JeanM listed in their comment; plus the cancellation provisions were not as restrictive as the SFIP cancellation provisions (i.e. the private insure could cancel the policy at any time, for any reason).