Residence Not in Flood-Horse Stable/Arena in Flood

Posted By: MLundy

Residence Not in Flood-Horse Stable/Arena in Flood - 02/23/21 07:02 PM

We have a residential mortgage where the home was removed from a flood zone, but they also have a Horse Stable/Arena on the property that is still in a flood zone. Do we still need coverage for this structure?
Posted By: John Burnett

Re: Residence Not in Flood-Horse Stable/Arena in Flood - 02/23/21 07:23 PM

Is the stable/arena used primarily for (a) personal, family, or household purposes, or (b) agricultural, commercial or other business purposes?

Re: Residence Not in Flood-Horse Stable/Arena in Flood - 02/23/21 08:31 PM

I'm not completely sure? I've reached out to the client without success. It could be a blend if they have their own horses, but I believe they run a vet chiropractic business from the property as well.
Posted By: Dan Persfull

Re: Residence Not in Flood-Horse Stable/Arena in Flood - 02/23/21 09:06 PM

I believe they run a vet chiropractic business from the property as well.

If that is the case then it will not qualify for the detached structure exemption.

Re: Residence Not in Flood-Horse Stable/Arena in Flood - 02/23/21 11:21 PM

Thank you very much!!
Posted By: Adam Witmer

Re: Residence Not in Flood-Horse Stable/Arena in Flood - 02/24/21 07:11 PM

To add clarification to Dan's answer, the detached structure would require flood insurance if the vet chiropractic business operates out of the stable. If the vet business doesn't (such as operating out of a third building), and the stable is solely used for personal/household purposes, it could qualify for the detached structure exemption (assuming it also does not serve as a residence.

It can be a bit complex to dot all the i's and cross all the t's on the detached structure exemption. Rather than expand on this thread about all of the requirements, here is an article on the detached structure exemption that lays out the requirements: https://www.compliancecohort.com/blog/detached-structure-flood-insurance-exemption