Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1625041 - 11/07/11 04:03 PM Depositing checks payable to a business
Help!!! Offline
Arkansas
We have a business account that has another business operating inside. The account only has the one business name on it. Some of the checks that are being deposited are made out to the other business that is not listed anywhere on the account. I am new to the deposit side of compliance but I would think we should NOT allow checks to be deposited that are not payable to the name on the account. Where can I read information on such?

Any comments are apreciated.

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1625427 - 11/08/11 12:29 AM Re: Depositing checks payable to a business Help!!!
Deputy Dawn Offline
Gold Star
Deputy Dawn
Pennsylvania
1. Your customer is XYZ Corp - you have identified XYZ Corp through your CIP process.
2. ABC Corp is not your customer - you have not identified ABC Corp through your CIP process.
3. Your contract is with XYZ Corp - not ABC Corp
4. If ABC Corp files for any of the checks that have been deposited to XYZ Corp's account, those funds will be returned to ABC Corp which could result in a loss to your bank.

If you substitute people instead of businesses, would you allow checks payable to Jane Doe to be deposited into Mary Smith's account? No

Return to Top
#1625524 - 11/08/11 02:31 PM Re: Depositing checks payable to a business Deputy Dawn
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Consider the possibility that the "business operating inside the other business" is actually a division of the business for which the bank has the account. For example, "Easy Irrigation Systems, a division of Easy Landscape Services, Inc." Assuming that the bank has worked with the depositor to assure itself of that structure of the businesses, the bank could accept a check payable to "Easy Irrigation Systems" for deposit to the "Easy Landscape Services, Inc." account. It could be facilitated by an endorsement reading something like "Deposit only to account of Easy Landscape Services, Inc., Easy Irrigation Systems, a division of Easy Landscape Services, Inc."

A similar result could be arrived at if Easy Landscape Services, Inc. operated a separate business, Easy Irrigation Systems, under a fictitious name (DBA).
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1625533 - 11/08/11 02:40 PM Re: Depositing checks payable to a business Help!!!
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Similar thread. I would have more interest in putting a stop to it than I would in seeking an explanation for it.

You guarantee the endorsement of every check going through the account. You have no CIP information and the second customer. etc. etc.

Return to Top
#1625561 - 11/08/11 02:59 PM Re: Depositing checks payable to a business Elwood P. Dowd
Help!!! Offline
Arkansas
Thanks for all the comments. Very helpful

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett