Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2220262 - 08/22/19 07:08 PM ATR on Asset Based Residential Loan
POWFNB Offline
100 Club
We are a small creditor. Borrower would like to purchase second home. Owns primary residence and several other properties debt free, some of which are being marketed for sale. Have verified ownership of properties and that they're being marketed. Borrower has 30% down with additional cash reserves. Challenge is that cash flow/DTI is high due to one borrower being self-employed and taking advantage of all available deductions (and then some if you know what I mean)...other borrower is W2. Having to base repayment on 2017 tax return as 2018 has not been filed and only income information provided is self-prepared. Credit is great. Liquidation of those assets (not taking as collateral) will retire the new loan debt. Considering a one year, interest only loan pending sale of assets.

Question 1: This cannot be a QM due to being interest only. Correct?
Question 2: Can we meet ATR requirement baseline on structure I've described?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Return to Top
Ability to Repay/Qualified Mortgage Rule
#2220291 - 08/23/19 12:13 AM Re: ATR on Asset Based Residential Loan POWFNB
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Owns primary residence and several other properties debt free, some of which are being marketed for sale.

And this is a second home? What are these other properties??

Return to Top
#2220299 - 08/23/19 01:18 PM Re: ATR on Asset Based Residential Loan POWFNB
POWFNB Offline
100 Club
Sure. They consist of several tracts of land and a commercial building. Since this post, I think I've decided that it can be a QM as follows:

Small Creditor Balloon QM: 62/240 balloon secured by secondary residence. DTI will exceed our policy limit, but will mitigate that (S&S decision, not compliance) with documentation on other properties owned, listing agreements, etc. We'll price and fee accordingly knowing that the loan might not be around for a full year.

Return to Top
#2220333 - 08/23/19 05:44 PM Re: ATR on Asset Based Residential Loan POWFNB
Carolina Blue Offline
Platinum Poster
Carolina Blue
Lost in a regulatory fog
Why would this not be exempt?
1026.43(a)(3)(ii) A temporary or "bridge" loan with a term of 12 months or less, such as a loan to finance the purchase of a new dwelling where the consumer plans to sell a current dwelling within 12 months or a loan to finance the initial construction of a dwelling;

Return to Top
#2220372 - 08/26/19 03:15 PM Re: ATR on Asset Based Residential Loan POWFNB
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
IN the first post you are contemplating 1 year int only while sale of assets happens...that would be as Carolina stated. But in the next post you are contemplating a 62/240 balloon.

What is it you are actually planning on doing [what did the customer request]

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2220455 - 08/27/19 01:28 PM Re: ATR on Asset Based Residential Loan POWFNB
POWFNB Offline
100 Club
They are not selling their current residence and this will truly be a second home. They are selling other assets as described above. They are not requesting any specific terms. We decided to go the 62/240 balloon route and allow borrower additional time in the event assets weren't sold as quickly as they think. Thanks for the feedback and reminder on ATR exemptions.

Return to Top