Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2252366 - 04/14/21 07:07 PM W-8BEN
Lyndsie Burchett Offline
New Poster
I am researching a question that I received from my peers concerning W-8BEN forms. If anyone has some insight as to where I might find some guidance, I would appreciate the assist:

If we have a W-8BEN form expire and the member is not responding to our attempts to get an updated one, is the only thing we are required to do is set up back-up withholding, or are we required to freeze the account?
Last edited by Lyndsie Burchett; 04/14/21 07:07 PM.
Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2252367 - 04/14/21 07:15 PM Re: W-8BEN Lyndsie Burchett
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
You should set up backup withholding. You don't have any authority to freeze the account.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2252369 - 04/14/21 07:27 PM Re: W-8BEN Lyndsie Burchett
Lyndsie Burchett Offline
New Poster
Perfect thank you. By chance do you have any resources I can reference for educational material. I'm putting together some structured training and I would like to have some resources to site.

Return to Top
#2252807 - 04/22/21 05:40 PM Re: W-8BEN Lyndsie Burchett
bcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster

Return to Top
#2255616 - 06/18/21 06:24 PM Re: W-8BEN John Burnett
Jodi Offline
Jodi
I would like to ask about the expiration date of W8 BENs. We had the understanding that with the changes in early 2020, that they would not expire if it was completed, signed and had a US TIN, foreign TIN or explanation as to why not. Does anyone know is this is accurate?

Return to Top
#2255621 - 06/18/21 06:45 PM Re: W-8BEN Lyndsie Burchett
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
From the instructions:

Expiration of Form W-8BEN. Generally, a Form W-8BEN will remain in effect for purposes of establishing foreign status for a period starting on the date the form is signed and ending on the last day of the third succeeding calendar year, unless a change in circumstances makes any information on the form incorrect. For example, a Form W-8BEN signed on September 30, 2015, remains valid through December 31, 2018.

However, under certain conditions a Form W-8BEN will remain in effect indefinitely until a change of circumstances occurs. To determine the period of validity for Form W-8BEN for purposes of chapter 4, see Regulations section 1.1471-3(c)(6)(ii). To determine the period of validity for Form W-8BEN for purposes of chapter 3, see Regulations section 1.1441-1(e)(4)(ii).

Return to Top
#2255625 - 06/18/21 07:38 PM Re: W-8BEN rlcarey
Jodi Offline
Jodi
Thank you! I have that but I am struggling to make to heads or tails out all that section of the law.

Return to Top
#2255627 - 06/18/21 08:13 PM Re: W-8BEN Lyndsie Burchett
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Backup withholding on a deposit account is covered under Chapter 4. For the W-8 not to expired in three years, your documentation would have to comply with the following.

(B) Indefinite validity. Notwithstanding paragraph (c)(6)(ii)(A) of this section, the following certificates (or parts of certificates), written statements, or documentary evidence shall remain valid until the withholding agent has knowledge of a change in circumstances that makes the information on the documentation incorrect -

(1) A withholding certificate or written statement provided by a participating FFI or registered deemed-compliant FFI that has furnished a valid GIIN that has been verified by the withholding agent in the manner set forth in paragraph (e)(3) of this section;

(2) A beneficial owner withholding certificate and documentary evidence supporting the individual's claim of foreign status when both are provided together (as defined in § 1.1441-1(e)(4)(ii)(B)(1)) by an individual claiming foreign status, if the withholding agent does not have a current U.S. residence or U.S. mailing address for the payee and does not have one or more current U.S. telephone numbers that are the only telephone numbers the withholding agent has for the payee;

(3) A beneficial owner withholding certificate that is provided by an entity described in paragraph (c)(6)(ii)(C)(2) of this section (other than an entity described in paragraph (c)(6)(ii)(C)(2)(iii) of this section) and documentary evidence establishing the entity's foreign status when both are received by the withholding agent before the validity period of either would otherwise expire under paragraph (c)(6)(ii)(A) of this section;

(4) A withholding certificate of an intermediary, flow-through entity, or U.S. branch (not including the withholding certificates, written statements, or documentary evidence of the payees, or withholding statements associated with the withholding certificate);

(5) A withholding certificate, written statement, or documentary evidence furnished by a foreign government, government of a U.S. territory, foreign central bank (including the Bank for International Settlements), international organization, or entity that is wholly owned by any such entities;

(6) Documentary evidence that is not generally renewed or amended (such as a certificate of incorporation); and

(7) For the validity period of a beneficial owner withholding certificate provided by an entity described in paragraph (c)(6)(ii)(C)(2)(iii) of this section, see § 1.1441-1(e)(4)(ii).

Return to Top
#2255637 - 06/18/21 09:28 PM Re: W-8BEN rlcarey
Jodi Offline
Jodi
I appreciate your help. Thank you!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z