The Bank Protection Act requires institutions to assist in the identification, apprehension and prosecution of offenders. It is an industry-standard security practice that -- if you remove one security device or procedure -- you replace it with another one. Potential replacements for bait money and bill traps include:
- Installation of bullet-resistant barriers;
- Installation of security portals;
- Replacement of outdated video equipment with enhanced cameras and recorders;
- Develop and deliver enhanced robbery response training to all employees, including the teaching of appropriate suspect descriptors;
- Placement of remote or fixed alarm devices at every workstation, including those occupied by platform personnel; and
- Placement of signs regarding hats, sunglasses -- and that states that video surveillance equipment is used and images are stored off-site.
First published on BankersOnline.com 2/01/04