Skip to content

Calculating Flood Insurance

Answered by: 

We have a customer who purchased property located in the Flood Plain. A Church was built in the middle of the property. A survey of the property has been prepared and the customer is in the process of filing a application for Loan to take this structure out. There are other structures on the property if the Church structure is taken out, do we just need to get flood insurance for the value of the other structures? If their value is less than our loan amount, how much coverage is required? The value of the other structures or the loan amount?

I'm not sure
I understand all of the details of your question.

Banks must insure that borrowers purchase flood insurance coverage at least equal to the following minimums:

  1. Outstanding principal balance of all loans secured by the property;
  2. The appraised value of the property minus the land value (the improved property value); and
  3. The maximum insurance available under the principal flood insurance program [generally, $250,000 for a residence and $500,000 for commercial buildings - but this is for each building].

First published on 2/17/03

First published on 02/17/2003

Filed under: 
Filed under lending as: 

Banker Store View All

From training, policies, forms, and publications, to office products and occasional gifts, it’s available here:

Banker Store

hot right now

image description

Looking for effective, convenient training on a particular subject?

BOL Learning Connect offers more than 200 courses ON-DEMAND or on CD ROM from AML to Reg Z and every topic in between.

Search Topics