Skip to content

Calculating Flood Insurance For A Condominium

Answered by: 

Is there an 80% rule for calculating the amount of flood insurance required on a condominium unit? I normally take the amount of flood insurance and divide that by the # of units in the condo building. I was also told that if the flood policy indicates that the insurance is for the "replacement value" that you would not have to require any additional insurance.

The "80%" rule is an insurance industry term to mean that something is with tolerance of being insured for the replacement value. For instance, if I buy hazard insurance of $100,000 at the time I purchase a home for $100,000, I have purchased replacement value insurance. If my home appreciates, I might be underinsured, but if I'm within 80% of the value, then I'm said to still have "replacement value."

The Flood Insurance requirements do not require you to have replacement value insurance. Instead, you must have flood insurance at least equal to the following minimums:

  1. Outstanding principal balance of all loans secured by the property;
  2. The appraised value of the property minus the land value (the improved property value); and
  3. The maximum insurance available under the principal flood insurance program ($250,000 for residence & $500,000 for nonresidential buildings).

First published on 1/20/03

First published on 01/20/2003

Filed under: 
Filed under compliance as: 

Banker Store View All

From training, policies, forms, and publications, to office products and occasional gifts, it’s available here:

Banker Store

hot right now

image description

Looking for effective, convenient training on a particular subject?

BOL Learning Connect offers more than 200 courses ON-DEMAND or on CD ROM from AML to Reg Z and every topic in between.

Search Topics