Skip to content

Collecting On Delinquent Debt: Right Of Offset

Answered by: 

We have a very delinquent borrower whose spouse signed all the security agreements. The borrower has not been returning phone calls or other various attempts to contact him. He and his wife have a joint account, and the wife has a separate individual account. Last week the borrower endorsed a check to his wife, and she deposited it into her account. The check was proceeds from work subject to the security agreement. The wife has now completed 2 internet transfers to the joint account to cover insurance payment withdrawals. My question is can we place a hold on the wife's account, use right of offset, or any other suggestions to try to collect on the delinquent debt?

You are asking a question that should be asked of your legal counsel. In some States on certain types of loans you get one shot to cure. You could end up jeopardizing your remaining loan balances.

First published on 08/28/2016

Filed under: 
Filed under lending as: 

Banker Store View All

From training, policies, forms, and publications, to office products and occasional gifts, it’s available here:

Banker Store

hot right now

image description

Looking for effective, convenient training on a particular subject?

BOL Learning Connect offers more than 200 courses ON-DEMAND or on CD ROM from AML to Reg Z and every topic in between.

Search Topics