Skip to content

Flood Insurance for 2 Properties

We have a loan with two properties. One is a flood zone and one not in. The value of the property in a flood zone is $50,000. Can we require flood insurance only on the amount of the property that is in the flood zone or do we have to get flood insurance to cover the entire $250,000.00 loan balance?

by Randy Carey:

It is the lower of the amount of NFIP insurance available on the buildings in the SFHA, the insurable value of the buildings in the SFHA, or the entire loan amount.


by Jim Bedsole:

If the insurable value of the property that is in the flood zone is only $50,000, that is going to be the lowest of the three numbers and would be the amount of flood insurance you would require. The loan amount is the second of the numbers and that is $250,000. The maximum amount available under the NFIP is going to be either $250,000 or $500,000 depending on whether it is a dwelling or commercial building. So $50,000 is the lowest of the three.

First published on 10/13/2019

Filed under: 
Filed under lending as: 

Banker Store View All

From training, policies, forms, and publications, to office products and occasional gifts, it’s available here:

Banker Store

hot right now

image description

Looking for effective, convenient training on a particular subject?

BOL Learning Connect offers more than 200 courses ON-DEMAND or on CD ROM from AML to Reg Z and every topic in between.

Search Topics