Skip to content

Flood Insurance & Mobile Homes

Answered by: 

What does the term "flood insurance" permanently affixed to real estate mean as it pertains to mobile homes needing flood insurance? If the bank took on the mobile home as collateral, and the mobile home that still has the tongue attached is not considered to be permanently affixed, does the mobile home not require flood insurance? Clarification is needed as to what constitutes that a mobile home has been permanently affixed versus not permanently affixed and/or anchored to a foundation.

To be insurable under the NFIP, a mobile home:

  • Must be affixed to a permanent foundation. A permanent foundation for a manufactured (mobile)home may be poured masonry slab or foundation walls, or may be piers or block supports, either of which support the mobile home so that no weight is supported by the wheels and axles of the mobile home.

  • Must be anchored if located in a special flood hazard area (SFHA). For flood insurance coverage, all new policies and subsequent renewals of those policies must be based upon the specific anchoring requirements identified below.

If the mobile home is not anchored and is located in a SFHA, then you must require it to be anchored and obtain flood insurance, otherwise you cannot make the loan. See 339.3.

First published on 6/22/09

First published on 06/22/2009

Filed under: 

Banker Store View All

From training, policies, forms, and publications, to office products and occasional gifts, it’s available here:

Banker Store

hot right now

image description

Looking for effective, convenient training on a particular subject?

BOL Learning Connect offers more than 200 courses ON-DEMAND or on CD ROM from AML to Reg Z and every topic in between.

Search Topics