With the continued importance of information security and customer privacy, the creation of a senior level position for managing an information security and disaster recovery program will likely become more common in the banking industry.
The following job description can be adapted to suit your institution's needs.
Information Security Manager Job Description
Reports to: Chief Information Officer, or Senior Executive
General Purpose: The Information Security manager serves as the process owner for all ongoing activities that serve to provide appropriate access to and protect the confidentiality and integrity of customer, employee, and business information in compliance with organization policies and standards.
- Serves as an internal information security consultant to the organization
- Documents security policies and procedures created by the Information Security Committee
- Provides direct training and oversight to all employees, affiliate marketing partners, alliances, or other third parties, ensuring proper information security clearance in accordance with established organizational information security policies and procedures
- Initiates, facilitates, and promotes activities to create information security awareness within the organization
- Perform information security risk assessments and serves as an internal auditor for security issues
- Implements information security policies and procedures for the organization
- Reviews all system-related security plans throughout the organization's network, acting as a liaison to Information Systems
- Monitors compliance with information security policies and procedures, referring problems to the appropriate department manager
- Coordinates the activities of the Information Security Committee
- Advises the organization with current information about information security technologies and related regulatory issues
- Monitors the internal control systems to ensure that appropriate access levels are maintained
- Prepares the disaster recovery plan
First published on BankersOnline.com 5/06/02