Skip to content

Primary TIN for Alien Joint Checking

Answered by: 

A professional sports player who is a non-resident alien would like to open a joint checking account. The other owner will be his manager. Do we have to use the manager's TIN as the primary TIN on this account even though he will not be benefiting from the interest payments? He is on the account only for convenience sake when the other individual is traveling.

That's the IRS requirement. If only one of the joint owners has an SSN, that individual's SSN must be furnished on the Form W-9 (see W-9 instructions, page 4, footnote 1 to the table "What Name and Number to Give the Requester."

Consider, however, the reason you described for having the manager on the account. If it's joint, the manager owns the account, too. If the manager were only a convenience (authorized) signer, the account would belong to the athlete, you'd have to obtain a W-8BEN from him, and any interest reporting would be in the athlete's name, on Form 1042S (assuming he's a resident of Canada or, after 2013, one of the 70 plus countries listed by the IRS as requiring 1042S reporting).

First published on 4/30/12

First published on 04/30/2012

Filed under: 
Filed under operations as: 

Banker Store View All

From training, policies, forms, and publications, to office products and occasional gifts, it’s available here:

Banker Store

hot right now

image description

Looking for effective, convenient training on a particular subject?

BOL Learning Connect offers more than 200 courses ON-DEMAND or on CD ROM from AML to Reg Z and every topic in between.

Search Topics