Skip to content

SAFE ACT-Mortgage Lenders Register for NMLSR

Answered by: 

I recently attended a Harland Laser Pro Regional Conference. It was indicated that the SAFE ACT states that mortgage lenders must register for a NMLSR. Does this include loan officers that just take Home Equity Loan and HELOC applications?

Yes. The SAFE Act and regulations include definitions of terms. The key definition in this case is that of "residential mortgage loan." That term "means any loan primarily for personal, family, or household use that is secured by a mortgage, deed of trust, or other equivalent consensual security interest on a dwelling (as defined in section 103(v) of the Truth in Lending Act, 15 U.S.C. 1602(v)) or residential real estate upon which is constructed or intended to be constructed a dwelling, and includes refinancings, reverse mortgages, home equity lines of credit and other first and additional lien loans that meet the qualifications listed in this definition." [12 CFR Part 208, Section 208.102].So, if you have employees who meet the definition of "mortgage loan originator" (also defined in Section 208.102) in their handling of HELOC or other residential mortgage loans, they need to be registered.

And don't forget! The initial registration period for mortgage loan originators employed by federally-supervised financial institutions is right around the corner! July 29, 2011.

First published on 7/18/11

First published on 07/18/2011

Banker Store View All

From training, policies, forms, and publications, to office products and occasional gifts, it’s available here:

Banker Store

hot right now

image description

Looking for effective, convenient training on a particular subject?

BOL Learning Connect offers more than 200 courses ON-DEMAND or on CD ROM from AML to Reg Z and every topic in between.

Search Topics