Skip to content

Sole Proprietor CTR-Use TIN or SSN#?

Answered by: 

When filing a CTR on a sole proprietorship where the owner has a separate TIN for the business, which do we supply on the CTR- the SSN for the sole proprietor or the TIN?

It depends on which of the two acceptable filing methods you use under FinCEN's ruling FIN-2008-R001. If you use the option to report only one person on whose behalf the transaction was completed (the individual), you use his or her SSN and other personal information. If you use the option that treats the business as a separate person, you create one entry for the individual with his or her information and a second one for the business, using the business address and EIN.

First published on 11/05/12

First published on 11/05/2012

Filed under: 
Filed under compliance as: 

Banker Store View All

From training, policies, forms, and publications, to office products and occasional gifts, it’s available here:

Banker Store

hot right now

image description

Looking for effective, convenient training on a particular subject?

BOL Learning Connect offers more than 200 courses ON-DEMAND or on CD ROM from AML to Reg Z and every topic in between.

Search Topics