Skip to content

W-9 or W-8 for DHS Authorization to Work

Answered by: 

We have customers from Mexico that have been lawfully admitted to the US on a temporary basis who have DHS authorization to work. The Social Security Administration has issued them a SS card that states;Valid for work only with DHS authorization. Do they sign a w-9 or W-8 for their loan?

Unless these individuals are U.S. Citizens or resident aliens, they provide you a W-8BEN. Their temporary permission clinches the answer. They don't qualify for a W-9.

First published on 4/29/13

First published on 04/29/2013

Filed under: 
Filed under compliance as: 
Filed under security as: 

Banker Store View All

From training, policies, forms, and publications, to office products and occasional gifts, it’s available here:

Banker Store

hot right now

image description

Looking for effective, convenient training on a particular subject?

BOL Learning Connect offers more than 200 courses ON-DEMAND or on CD ROM from AML to Reg Z and every topic in between.

Search Topics