Dealing with the Media After a Robbery
Before a robbery occurs, your bank should have an after action plan. This plan should include who will address the media, when, and what may and may not be said. This list will help in preparing that.
- Designate one person to deal with the media.
- Inform all other employees to refrain from speaking to the media or any news service.
- Do not allow the media to enter the building until police and FBI and completed their investigation.
- Do not allow the media to photograph the inside of the bank or any witnesses.
- Do not disclose the names of any tellers or witnesses.
- Do not disclose the amount of money taken.
- Do not discuss your security system.
- Do not disclose any security procedures.
After consulting with your local law enforcement and FBI youmay release to the media:
- Date and Time of Robbery.
- Your name and your business phone number.
- The fact that you are the official spokesperson.
- A brief statement assuring customers it is safe to continue to bank here.
First published on 01/01/2003