BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Thread Options
#1655521 - 01/25/12 02:40 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
The Minion Offline
Platinum Poster
The Minion
That's so true Mani. I have had people tell me they were thinking about getting a dog for their kids. My response is always the same, "Don't get a dog for your kids unless you want one just as much!" A family dog is usually taken care of by the parents anyway. Kids only see the fluff and fun with having a dog, adults need to see the whole picture.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1655534 - 01/25/12 03:03 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Every dog has it's quirks and issues. All dogs have an occasional accident. All dogs can develop expensive health issues. You just have to be prepared.

Lucy, my current beagle mix, is perfect with kids, cats, other dogs. She's loving, funny, playful, and very entertaining. She also has separation issues and has to be crated when I am not home. Some people think that it's cruel to crate her, but if I didn't she would destroy my house and potentially hurt herself. She also can not be outside without a being tied or on her leash - she will pick up a scent and be gone before you know it. And even though she is housebroken, this past weekend she was sitting on my lap playing with another dog and she peed on me.

I had a purebred cocker spaniel years ago who was a great dog. His thing was that he hated my neighbor's daughter and would go after her anytime he saw her.

Return to Top
#1655590 - 01/25/12 03:38 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
ATLbanker Offline
Gold Star
Georgia
I think dogs sometimes pee out of spite. We had one dog that after being scolded got on our bed and just went. Other than that she was a great dog, a pommeranian-poodle mix. She passed away almost a year ago. She was 19 years old.

Return to Top
#1655600 - 01/25/12 03:46 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
Some dogs piddle when under stress. It could be excitement because you came home, excitement/nervousness in meeting someone new, anxiety, fear/being startled, almost anything...

My sister's daschund used to piddle when my mother or myself came in the door, especially if we spoke in an excited or high voice. I learned to just ignore her completely for a few minutes and only greet her once she'd calmed down.

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1655605 - 01/25/12 03:50 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? manimal
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Do you talk in a voice so high that only the dog can hear it?

CAMS

Return to Top
#1655615 - 01/25/12 04:10 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
The cocker spaniel that I had that recently passed away used to sleep in my bed. I say used to because she would get too comfortable and pee in the bed then go back to sleep. The solution was that she was not allowed on the bed anymore. She didn't have any issues peeing on the rug or anything, just in the bed.

Return to Top
#1655618 - 01/25/12 03:59 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? edAudit
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
Originally Posted By: EdAudit
Do you talk in a voice so high that only the dog can hear it?

::answers in supersonic high voice::

smile

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1655656 - 01/25/12 04:36 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? manimal
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
Originally Posted By: manimal82

My sister's daschund used to piddle when my mother or myself came in the door, especially if we spoke in an excited or high voice.

Get out! Me too!

Return to Top
#1655667 - 01/25/12 04:30 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? manimal
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
My sister's daschund used to piddle when my mother or myself came in the door, especially if we spoke in an excited or high voice. I learned to just ignore her completely for a few minutes and only greet her once she'd calmed down.

I've had to do this with both my dogs. For Puka's separation anxiety (which she no longer has) and for Boeing's excitement piddling (which she no longer does). When I come home, they get excited and greet me for liek 2 seconds, then go outside to pee. Even when they come back in, it's a few minutes while I settle in before they get pet, and they knwo this now. It's nice smile

Return to Top
#1655672 - 01/25/12 04:35 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
When I come home from work I'm generally greeted for all 4 dogs - then the old basenji goes after the young sheltie. I have no idea why. Mandy (basenji) will hold Rafe (sheltie) down with her paw and bite at her ruff. When Mandy is done it generally looks like she has a white beard - and sometimes poor Rafe squeals because it hurts her a little. That being said, as soon as she lets Rafe up she's right back at her. Really weird.

Return to Top
#1655680 - 01/25/12 04:39 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? 'Lil Freak!
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
Originally Posted By: Guns 'n Poodles

My sister's daschund used to piddle when my mother or myself came in the door, especially if we spoke in an excited or high voice.

Get out! Me too!

::hands GnP a towel::

Clean yourself up smile

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1656804 - 01/26/12 09:44 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
Trees Offline
Power Poster
We owned mutts and pure breeds. Mutts have a certain charm. If we get another dog someday, we will check the shelters first.

If you are considering purebreeds we owned an English Bull Terrier. She lived 15 years. They are intelligent and comical. They are also very feisty and need lots of training/socializing. They were originally bred to fight and they still have that in them so you would need to be wary of this aspect. We also had a cat at the same time. They had a brother/sister relationship. They played with each other (ie the cat would hide behind the bushes and jump out at the dog as she went by) and sought each other out for nap time. When the dog passed away the cat appeared to take on the dog's responsibilities, for example, watching over us when we were in the yard, alerting us to someone near. Very strange. She also loved children. When we went to the beach or park she would take her toy balls down to kids and roll it with her nose in their direction to play with them. Terriers in general are full of life and stay that way. End of my two cents!
Last edited by Trees; 01/26/12 09:46 PM.
Return to Top
#1656882 - 01/27/12 01:09 AM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Some of the behaviours noted here are definitely breed specific. Beagles belong to the Hound class. Nose to the ground and gone is a classic characteristic of hunters, which is what a beagle is considered. Howling is another characteristic of this class.

Here's the Purina dog breed selector. This is what we used to narrow our search when our only criteria was to go to a smaller breed. There are others out there from Animal Planet, Iams, etc.

Return to Top
#1656915 - 01/27/12 12:54 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
The Minion Offline
Platinum Poster
The Minion
The Purina dog breed selector is missing quite a few breeds confused

Return to Top
#1656993 - 01/27/12 02:42 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
This one is different from the one they used to have. Try one of the others...or all of them...and see if you get a consensus. smile

The other thing I suggest is go to a dog show. You can walk around and see all the dogs and talk to breeders too. Most importantly, go to the obedience trials section. There you'll see what breeds of dogs do the kinds of things you want your dog to do. If you want a high energy dog, check out the agility runs. Field trials showcase the hunters' abilities. Talk to the people handling these dogs too. These are most often just regular owners, not breeders, so they're happy to share their stories and even tell you where they got their 'wonder' dog.

Return to Top
#1657140 - 01/27/12 04:29 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Instead of a dog show, where you only see pure bred dogs, contact a local rescue. Look at Petfinder, and they have a good dog breed descriptions. Also, when you talk to your rescue, learn about the personalities of individual dogs. While most herding dogs tend to nip at heels to herd other animals/people, some are worse than others, and some don't even bother. While most greyhounds are really lazy and don't get in to trouble, others are counter-surfers. That's another benefit of working with a rescue instead of a breeder. Rescues will foster the dogs and really get to know their personality!

Return to Top
#1657144 - 01/27/12 04:31 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
By the way, I've got a GREAT 4 year old mixed breed that I am trying to find a home for. Great with other animals, great with kids, sheds only a little, loves to keep you company, and is very good about telling you when she has to go outside to potty, or it is time to eat. She'll sleep at your feet on the bed and keep them warm.

Anyone looking for a 30 lb. super cutie?

Return to Top
#1657336 - 01/27/12 07:59 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Just meant dog shows would help you see first-hand the characteristics from various breeds that go into that mixed breed you're trying to re-home. You gotta start somewhere and this is a fun way to learn a lot in a day.

Another alternative is an event like the Greater Milwaukee Pet Expo. We'll be there with our three dogs manning the Greater Chicagoland Cavalier Rescue Booth. There's even a parade of rescues avaliable for adoption that has been a huge hit in previous years.

Lots of options for EGB and anyone else looking for a dog. I commend her for asking way ahead of time in order to be able to do the research necessary to make a great choice.

Return to Top
#1657374 - 01/27/12 08:29 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
That's so cool, Truff.

Return to Top
#1657411 - 01/27/12 09:09 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Lucy is, I think a Beagle (dominant appearance) and dachshund (short legs long body). Both breeds are of the "Hound" group and as such likes to track. The dachshund also goes after burrowing animals which might explain why she burrows under the covers and puts her cold nose on my back in the middle of the night.

The dog we had over the weekend was of the "Herding" group (part collie or sheltie) and would try to round up and herd Lucy as Lucy was trying to track her. It was kind of comical to see her try to pick Lucy up by the back of the neck. Herders were obviously meant to herd livestock and will sometimes follow that instinct with kids and might tend to nip if the kids are non-compliant.

Return to Top
#1657415 - 01/27/12 09:12 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Blue Heeler/Aussie mix would be my choice, in your situation.

Return to Top
#1657421 - 01/27/12 09:04 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? Truffle Royale
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
Just meant dog shows would help you see first-hand the characteristics from various breeds that go into that mixed breed you're trying to re-home. You gotta start somewhere and this is a fun way to learn a lot in a day.

Another alternative is an event like the Greater Milwaukee Pet Expo. We'll be there with our three dogs manning the Greater Chicagoland Cavalier Rescue Booth. There's even a parade of rescues avaliable for adoption that has been a huge hit in previous years.

Lots of options for EGB and anyone else looking for a dog. I commend her for asking way ahead of time in order to be able to do the research necessary to make a great choice.

I guess I should have said.... if there's not a dog show around you... smile Your idea was great, didn't mean it to sound like it wasn't.

On February 11th(?) they are having a huge rescue event in West Chester, OH (north of Cincinnati) that is going to have hundreds of dogs and cats available for adoption. Tons of rescues will be there! smile

Return to Top
#1657444 - 01/27/12 09:25 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? thomasj
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Thomas - it's priceless when our young sheltie tries to herd my husband. She's all over his feet - nipping, etc. She doesn't do that to me, though.

Return to Top
#1657553 - 01/28/12 02:28 AM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
We've had a number of shelties over the years and not a one nipped anyone ever. One was a spinner, tho, constantly doing herding circles if you slowed down a heeling walk too much.

My last recommendation (leaning towards an admonishment) ...please, please take the time to train any dog you get. Take them to a class or better yet, a series of classes to not only obedience train them but to expose them to other dogs and get them properly socialized. Every dog is different so even if you've trained before, you and your dog will learn a lot together. You will never regret a penny or minute you spend training with your dog and you'll end up with a trustworthy companion.

If anyone's near Milwaukee, stop by and see us at the Pet Expo on 2/4!

Return to Top
#1657600 - 01/30/12 12:55 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
TR - she doesn't actually nip him (I used that term instead of something more playful) - it's a game to both of them. It's as cute as can be and the noises she makes when she's doing it are priceless.

And I totally agree on the training.

Return to Top
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9