Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#242914 - 09/09/04 08:12 PM Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
OK, so now we are in line for Ivan. We closed our Keys branches tomorrow and have a bunch of weekend calls set as we watch his path. Man, why can't these hurricanes happen in the middle of the week so my weekends don't keep getting ruined? I sure hope Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda don't get hit again. We all appreciate your concerns and prayers, thanks!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#242915 - 09/09/04 08:51 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
waldensouth Online
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
I haven't seen the news at all today - has it for sure turned North? I thought it was heading toward New Orleans or Mobile (unless it got pushed back at FL by the cold front moving in).

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#242916 - 09/09/04 08:55 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
Projected tract is now hitting Florida with a path somewhat similar to Charlie's.

Return to Top
#242917 - 09/09/04 08:55 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
USA Today reported that they're predicting similar path as Charlie, but they aren't giving any guarantees what it will do after it hits Cuba.

We'll be praying for you guys down there! I can't imagine what you're going through.

Return to Top
#242918 - 09/09/04 09:09 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
Thank God all we have to worry about out here in CA are earthquakes!

Hope you are all OK down there in FL. Our prayers are with you.

Return to Top
#242919 - 09/09/04 09:10 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
Both the latest Weather Channel and NOAA projections have Ivan off the west coast of Florida almost due west of Tampa/St Pete on Tuesday afternoon. The last stats on Ivan from the Weather Channel havethe mx sustained winds "down" to 150 mph. That makes it a big Category 4 storm.

Get ready, Florida, here it comes again. Batten down the hatches and get ready to head north. Good luck.

Return to Top
#242920 - 09/09/04 09:12 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
TTC Queen Offline
Diamond Poster
Oklahoma
Hang in there!! Prayers for everyone's safety through this hurricane season are going to the Man upstairs.

Return to Top
#242921 - 09/10/04 01:30 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Quote:

Both the latest Weather Channel and NOAA projections have Ivan off the west coast of Florida almost due west of Tampa/St Pete on Tuesday afternoon. The last stats on Ivan from the Weather Channel havethe mx sustained winds "down" to 150 mph. That makes it a big Category 4 storm.

And the Wednesday 2 am projection is 1/2 dot to the right of me. groan.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#242922 - 09/10/04 01:37 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
Certainly hope things go well for everyone....Florida has so much debris now. High winds could cause debris to become flying weapons. Of course, hurricanes are so unpredictable that it may not hit Florida.......but I hope it doesn't hit us either.......I just wish it would die out....(yeah right)

No one needs this thing.....Prayers are out to all coastal states......

Return to Top
#242923 - 09/10/04 01:39 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Good luck everyone.

Return to Top
#242924 - 09/10/04 04:37 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
We won't know if it hits Florida until probably late Sunday. But I just don't understand how they can predict a storm which is going steadily at 10-15 degree angle for hundreds of miles, to just suddenly take a 90 degree turn up for Florida. I mean, it happens, but how can you predict that?

I pray it misses Florida, where my winter home is. My friends there have been through too much already. However, if it continues on its steady 15 degree rise, lookout Texas!

Return to Top
#242925 - 09/10/04 04:44 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
waldensouth Online
Power Poster
waldensouth
Nanwa, there is some sort of front that is moving south from the NW. If the timing is right, it will push Ivan more to the east and cause that turn. They were talking about it on the Weather channel when I went home for lunch.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#242926 - 09/10/04 04:50 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Quote:

We won't know if it hits Florida until probably late Sunday. But I just don't understand how they can predict a storm which is going steadily at 10-15 degree angle for hundreds of miles, to just suddenly take a 90 degree turn up for Florida. I mean, it happens, but how can you predict that?

There is a front coming from the NW and a ridge across the Atlantic, so it's currently based on a "squeeze" affect as far as I can tell. The ridge is weakening, however, and that could make a difference later on.

Return to Top
#242927 - 09/10/04 05:26 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
CEB Offline
CEB
California
AGJ - We do have the earthquakes out here but lets not forget about the fires. We were evacuated for over a week- Perhaps we can somehow direct the rain from Florida to SoCal-
And I do have family in Florida so we do pray for their safety.

Return to Top
#242928 - 09/10/04 05:32 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
Oh, yes, of course we have the horrible fires. I lost a horse in one of the fires a few years back.

Are you prepared for the Big One? They have predicted it for sometime very soon...

Florida! Please send us your rain...you poor things...

Return to Top
#242929 - 09/10/04 07:24 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
wish we could send you the rain......minus the wind? that would be kewl!

Return to Top
#242930 - 09/10/04 07:36 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
HMS Pippii Offline
Diamond Poster
HMS Pippii
snorkeling in warm, clear wate...
Prayers going out to everyone in Ivan's path - I've got a meteorology degree (don't ask...) and I absolutely love tracking hurricanes, but the damage makes me sick.

Bet the regulators don't bother testing business continuity and disaster recovery next time they come through certain parts of FL -- they can just see before and after pictures.

I'm curious about any of you with business continuity responsibilities in Florida that have had to activate the plan - are you finding things in real life that would help the rest of us? My biggest risk is a tornado in Kansas and forest fires in Colorado and New Mexico, but I don't think that's material - just wondering what I can learn from Florida.

In the meantime -- many prayers for safety and a wind shift that will knock Ivan out to sea to die quietly.

Return to Top
#242931 - 09/10/04 08:19 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
MHS - you are quite the well-rounded person

Return to Top
#242932 - 09/10/04 08:25 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
1 Peter 5:7 Offline
Diamond Poster
1 Peter 5:7
TX
Quote:

But I just don't understand how they can predict a storm which is going steadily at 10-15 degree angle for hundreds of miles, to just suddenly take a 90 degree turn up for Florida.

MHS, you've got the meteorology degree. Why will Ivan make the turn north and not just continue going west?

Return to Top
#242933 - 09/10/04 08:35 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Quote:

Quote:

There is a front coming from the NW and a ridge across the Atlantic, so it's currently based on a "squeeze" affect as far as I can tell. The ridge is weakening, however, and that could make a difference later on.

I don't have a degree...but I am a weather "nut"...and this should be why.

Return to Top
#242934 - 09/10/04 08:42 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Quote:

Prayers going out to everyone in Ivan's path - I've got a meteorology degree (don't ask...) and I absolutely love tracking hurricanes, but the damage makes me sick.

Bet the regulators don't bother testing business continuity and disaster recovery next time they come through certain parts of FL -- they can just see before and after pictures.

I'm curious about any of you with business continuity responsibilities in Florida that have had to activate the plan - are you finding things in real life that would help the rest of us? My biggest risk is a tornado in Kansas and forest fires in Colorado and New Mexico, but I don't think that's material - just wondering what I can learn from Florida.

In the meantime -- many prayers for safety and a wind shift that will knock Ivan out to sea to die quietly.

Hi, I hope it does too. But, we have learned that you need to have proper calling trees so that everyone can contact their staff and make sure they are ok, that you plan on getting to the office early after the hurricane so that they can set up and get the place operational so you can open on time, that many customers won't necessarily need access to the branch but may need repair financing from commercial lenders that can go out and find out if their customers have had great damage, to keep your generators fueled up and topped off, to secure hard drives when you can prior to the storm, to stock your ATMs way up for customers to use while you're closed, that you appoint one person per branch to check it out and assess damage if any. I will have to think some more, but that is what I can think of off the top of my head.

Return to Top
#242935 - 09/10/04 08:50 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
ChicagoGuy Offline
Diamond Poster
ChicagoGuy
Chicago, IL
I used to think the midwest weather was boring......I'll take boring (and with snow even...) any old time!!!!

Return to Top
#242936 - 09/10/04 09:16 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
HMS Pippii Offline
Diamond Poster
HMS Pippii
Quote:

Hi, I hope it does too. But, we have learned that you need to have proper calling trees so that everyone can contact their staff and make sure they are ok, that you plan on getting to the office early after the hurricane so that they can set up and get the place operational so you can open on time, that many customers won't necessarily need access to the branch but may need repair financing from commercial lenders that can go out and find out if their customers have had great damage, to keep your generators fueled up and topped off, to secure hard drives when you can prior to the storm, to stock your ATMs way up for customers to use while you're closed, that you appoint one person per branch to check it out and assess damage if any. I will have to think some more, but that is what I can think of off the top of my head.

Thanks - you found one I'd missed - hadn't thought about having the lenders ready to make loans in a hurry for repairs. That's a great idea.

Return to Top
#242937 - 09/10/04 09:26 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
HMS Pippii Offline
Diamond Poster
HMS Pippii
Quote:

Quote:

But I just don't understand how they can predict a storm which is going steadily at 10-15 degree angle for hundreds of miles, to just suddenly take a 90 degree turn up for Florida.

MHS, you've got the meteorology degree. Why will Ivan make the turn north and not just continue going west?

Because they can only make predictions based on a static pattern of what the prevailing winds, jet stream, various fronts, etc are doing, but those things are in continuous flux - if something jolts one unpredictably, it affects everything. They also have a prediction model of what path a hurricane is typically going to follow based on where it forms, but those are about as good as predicting the date of your kid's birth by throwing darts at a calendar from across the room. They have to monitor what's happening both at the surface and aloft at all the different layers of the atmosphere and make the best prediction they can based on what's currently in motion.

I'm up to my ears in work at the moment and haven't had time to go out and read the official hurricane reports, but I know a cold front has come through here and I'm betting that it's headed that way - that can throw a real curve ball into the direction of Ivan.

I know it's come a looooong way since I got my degree, but hurricanes are notoriously hard to predict with the amount of accuracy that we really need to know exactly where it's going to make landfall and with what intensity.

I had a friend who was with the Hurricane Hunters for a long time - I forget how many eyes of hurricanes he penetrated but his description of the flight through the hurricane and into the eye left me quaking in my boots. Those guys have to be half nuts. Chasing tornadoes is a LOT more fun.

Return to Top
#242938 - 09/13/04 02:37 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
Quote:

Chasing tornadoes is a LOT more fun.

Who's nuts?

Return to Top
#242939 - 09/14/04 03:25 AM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Quote:

Quote:

Chasing tornadoes is a LOT more fun.

Who's nuts?

That is one of the things my daughter wants to do, chase tornados. Instead she is 9 months pregnant in Pensacola FL with a hurricane heading right toward her. Let's see if we can all use our positive thoughts to turn Ivan another way. Not that I want it to hurt anyone else, but I am rather worried about my daughter.

Return to Top
#242940 - 09/14/04 12:30 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
waldensouth Online
Power Poster
waldensouth
I foresee a hurricane baby! There is something about the drop in pressure that causes women to go into labor. My parents, aunts, uncles, cousins live in that area.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#242941 - 09/14/04 07:54 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
Don't look now, but there is another new tropical storm Jeanne that has formed. Here is a link to the path.

Tropical storm Jeanne

We are trying to plan a vacation in the islands somewhere in October, but I don't think that there is going to be anything left.

Return to Top
#242942 - 09/15/04 03:44 AM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Quote:

I foresee a hurricane baby! There is something about the drop in pressure that causes women to go into labor. My parents, aunts, uncles, cousins live in that area.

They are admitting her tomorrow morning. She said it is going to be like being at a high end storm shelter. The gally will be open and they will have electricity. She will be in the Naval hospital. If she does have the baby, I just won't get to know right away if the phone lines are down.

Return to Top
#242943 - 09/15/04 12:14 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Looks like it's the folks around Mobile that we'll have to worry about. At least FL will mostly be spared another disaster.

Good luck all.

Return to Top
#242944 - 09/15/04 12:52 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:

At least FL will mostly be spared another disaster

actually, the east side of the hurricane is the worst place to be. It looks like the entire Florida panhandle, and possbily much of the lower Gulf shore will be affected by storm surge and high winds. Good luck guys.

Return to Top
#242945 - 09/15/04 01:51 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
We were just in Gulf Shores, AL six weeks ago for a week's vacation. What a beautiful area and it just makes sick to think about the damage that is going to be caused by this storm.

We were also in New Orleans in June and that city sounds like it is going to get hit hard with storm surge.

Our prayers are with all of those in the path of all of these storms.

Return to Top
#242946 - 09/15/04 03:18 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
EdOils Offline
Platinum Poster
EdOils
Louisiana
Quote:

We were also in New Orleans in June and that city sounds like it is going to get hit hard with storm surge.

At least most of the people in NO and Miss were taking the storm seriously. Traffic on I-10 is bumper-to-bumper from NO to the LA-TEX border (or further). This one could be ugly.

Return to Top
#242947 - 09/15/04 05:51 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
waldensouth Online
Power Poster
waldensouth
This storm is so big - it's going to cause a lot of damage. Even though it's moving farther away from us, our local weather stations are predicting Tropical Storm force winds and rain with chances for flooding and wind damage. So, Joker, get your son out of the house surrounded by trees! My parents have decided to hunker down and ride it out in Pensacola even though they have been told to expect 36 hours of hurricane force winds and rain. At least they live inland and nowhere near water.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#242948 - 09/15/04 05:55 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
My sister and her family, who are also inland - about 20 miles from Gulf Shores, AL - are also staying put. As she said, I could have gone 200 miles north to Montgomery but the storm reaches 200 miles so I would still be in the hurricane. Her house has made it through many hurricanes over many years so we are all praying it makes it through this one! Her kids live closer to the Gulf and had to leave - they are all at her place!
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#242949 - 09/15/04 06:44 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Quote:

So, Joker, get your son out of the house surrounded by trees!

I plan on it if it begins to look severe...they have closed the schools here, but not the office (imagine that!) I hope the best for your folks! I guess they'll be having a hurricane party for sure. I wish things would settle down a bit.

Return to Top
#242950 - 09/15/04 07:11 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
God Bless you all, and remember possessions can be replaced, buildings can be rebuilt, but lives can't be brought back. Head for the hills if you need to!

Return to Top
#242951 - 09/16/04 01:03 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
waldensouth Online
Power Poster
waldensouth
Kaybee, have you heard from your sister? I spoke with my parents this morning. They have no power, no water and still have sustained winds of 80 MPH. They have no trees left - all of them were blown up by the roots, the fences were blown out of the ground, some damage to the roof but it's not leaking. They are tired but fine. Here's a link to the Pensacola News Journal for more info.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#242952 - 09/16/04 04:53 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I spoke with my sister this morning on a very very bad cell connection. They are all okay. The house is okay and no cars were damaged despite many many trees coming down. Her property is very old and at one time a landscaper lived there . There was a little grove of Pecan trees out back. They are nowhere to be seen. Many other trees came down. Only 1 hit the house but it sort of "leaned" on the house and caused little if any damage.

She said the winds are still terrible.

They lost power last evening around 6 when the transformers in the Gulf started to blow up. I watched that on tv. They were initially told, pre-storm, they would have no power for about 3 weeks if it went out during the hurricane. They are now being told it will be much longer than that. No phone either. I guess once they can go out they can ride around and charge cell phones!

She said the storm was incredible. I am just glad they are all okay. When the storm shifted east across Mobile Bay it headed right for them! I hardly slept last night.

I am glad to hear your family is well also. What a relief!
Last edited by kaybee; 09/16/04 04:54 PM.

Return to Top
#242953 - 09/16/04 05:23 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
waldensouth Online
Power Poster
waldensouth
Glad to hear everyone's doing well, Kaybee. KCGEOQueen, have you heard from your daughter? Are you a grandma yet? I had delusions of going home to help Daddy clean up this weekend. However, P'cola seems to be cut off from the world right now. All roads leading in are closed - The bridges crossing Escambia Bay -both the I-10 bridge and the Hwy 90 bridge - suffered major damage. Hwy 98 is flooded. The National Guard can't even get in right now. So, it's hurry up and wait. Mother and Daddy have no news other that what my sister and I tell them when we can get through. We're having sustained winds of 15-20 MPH and tornado watches and warnings everywhere. I will be so glad when this thing moves on! Sorry SC,NC,VA.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#242954 - 09/17/04 03:17 AM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Waldensouth, thanks for asking. I heard from her this morning and she is fine. She was at the Navy Hospital and it suffered some damage but no one was hurt. She said about 5 women had their babies, but she was not one of them. She was going stir crazy at the hospital and checked out to go check on her apartment and cats. Both are fine. She wants to sleep in her own bed tonight but I worry about her with no fresh water (they do have bottled water).

I am watching the news right now and they just said it could be three weeks before the Airport opens. Ok, time to cry. I don't think the baby is going to wait three weeks to come since it is due Sunday. I guess I may have to drive down there.

Return to Top
#242955 - 09/17/04 01:11 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
waldensouth Online
Power Poster
waldensouth
If you drive, you'll have to go thru Alabama - from the Montgomery area down. Those are the only roads available and I don't know if they are all open at this point. It's not safe to go down there right now.

This just in: The U.S. 90 bridge over Escambia River, between Escambia and Santa Rosa counties, is NOW OPEN after being closed because of hurricane debris AND they've reopened Davis Hwy - a major north/south artery. There is still some debris on the hwy and the traffic lights aren't working.

So now I can get home. I just need to figure out if HWY 90 is closed on the Alabama side.
Last edited by waldensouth; 09/17/04 02:26 PM.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#242956 - 09/17/04 04:07 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
LDS Offline
New Poster
Panama City Florida
Thanks for all of the prayers. I stayed in Panama City during the storm. As you probably heard, we had several tornadoes touch down. Several of our employees live on Panama City Beach and actually watched one of them go by their houses. Luckily, everyone is OK. Several are still without power but houses are OK. My daughter lives in a mobile home in Fairhope AL. She evacuated and has heard that her home is fine.

Return to Top
#242957 - 09/18/04 04:53 AM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
I haven't heard from my daughter today. I hope she is ok. I don't believe their cell phones are working. I talked to a friend in Crestview (north of Fort Walton) and they are without power. She is going to see if she can get in touch with my daughter through the hospital.

Return to Top
#242958 - 09/18/04 05:54 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I have spoken with my sister in Loxley, AL (not far from Fairhope) a few times. They are spending their time cleaning up, chopping up all of the trees (she lost about 20), etc. Yesterday afternoon she said the National Guard was giving out MREs (meals ready to eat) since the food stores are mostly not open, and are directing traffic since there are no traffic lights. I have been reading the news to her over the phone to give them updates on what was damaged down at the Gulf.

Tornados came right down her street, damaging an apartment complex 2 blocks away, but missing her house. One of her sons was outside with some friends when they saw a tornado coming. They got back to the house and thankfully it didn't hit them. She has 3 kids in mobile homes and none of the homes were seriously damaged. One thing we need to understand that what I see as a mobile home around here in PA in a trailer park is not what their houses are like. These are set up on large separate lots like houses in landscaped housing developments. A great deal of the housing there is like that. My one niece has 3 bathrooms and 5 bedrooms! And fortunately it is still there.

I have a cousin in Pensacola. She went to a friend in Canada (she really wanted to get away from the storm) and doesn't know yet how her place made out.

I told my sister about the animals from the Gulf Shores zoo escaping and some alligators from the zoo being shot when they got too aggressive with the workers trying to retrieve them. She asked if "Chuckie", an old very large alligator had been shot. I was able to tell her last night that Chuckie was still on the run!

Return to Top
#242959 - 09/20/04 11:16 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
I talked to my daughter last night and she said they have electricity. There is no perishable foods in the stores, so they are limited on what they can eat. Still no baby. She was due yesterday. Maybe the baby is waiting until things are a little more settled.

Return to Top
#242960 - 09/21/04 01:54 AM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I ws just talking with my sister in Alabama. Some of her kids have power at their houses but she still does not! At least she could go to her daughter's to do laundry! She ate her first MRE tonight - pork ribs. She said it wasn't bad, and you get all of your condiments in the package! Her post office is still closed. No idea when it will re-open. They are waiting to hear about their schools.

Return to Top
#242961 - 09/21/04 12:50 PM Re: Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Charlie Redux?
waldensouth Online
Power Poster
waldensouth
Well, Mother and Daddy have water now - which is a big help. It still has to be boiled, but at least they can flush the toliet. No electricity yet - all of the power poles in their neighborhood were destroyed so the entire infrastructure will have to be rebuilt. Maybe they'll put the lines in cables in the ground this time instead of putting in new poles. Daddy was in line 4 hours Sunday to get more gas to run his generator. They are now getting the newspaper and mail is supposed to start running again this week. They are beginning to stop feeling totally cut off from the rest of the world. The blessing is that they only lost their phone 1 day so my sister and I could call them and let them know what was going on.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2