Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1184592 - 05/15/09 05:23 PM Federal Credit Billing Act
VolFan Offline
100 Club
In providing e-statments, do we have to provide the form to help the customer balance the statement?

Also,would anyone know where to find the Federal Credit Billing Act document or any information on the content of the act?

Lastly, I understand that the Reg E Error disclosure notice must be given with the periodic statement. On our statement, this disclosure is headed "In Case of Errors or Questions About Electronig Transfers". Underneath this heading is the required Reg E disclosure. Is there also a requirement to give a disclosure regarding general errors on a statement such as "In Case of Error or Inquiry About Your Account Statement? If so, where can I find the requirement to do so?

Thanks for any help that is provided.

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#1184736 - 05/15/09 06:44 PM Re: Federal Credit Billing Act VolFan
Skyline Offline
Platinum Poster
Skyline
Last edited by Skyline; 05/15/09 06:44 PM.

Return to Top
#1184861 - 05/15/09 07:59 PM Re: Federal Credit Billing Act Skyline
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
For Reg E, you may send a short notice with each periodic statement, or an annual notice which is longer. You'll find the content in the model forms.

http://www.bankersonline.com/regs/205/205.html
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1185113 - 05/17/09 01:27 PM Re: Federal Credit Billing Act Andy_Z
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Originally Posted By: Andy Z
For Reg E, you may send a short notice with each periodic statement, or an annual notice which is longer.

The Fair Credit Billing Act disclosure rules are almost identical to Reg. E. See Section 226.9(a) of Regulation Z.

Return to Top
#1185170 - 05/18/09 12:36 PM Re: Federal Credit Billing Act Richard Insley
VolFan Offline
100 Club
Since the The Fair Creidt Billing Act disclosure applies to open-end credit, is there any requirement for this disclosure to be given on a Checking/Savings statement?

And, is there a requirement that the information on how to balance the statement be included as part of the statement (i.e. the section where all O/S checks are listed and added, balance this statement, deposits not on the statement, etc.)?

My bank is just now rolling out e-statments and operations wants to delete these two items from the statements. We want to make sure that in doing so, we won't be out of compliance with any of the rules.

Thanks again for your help with this.

Return to Top
#1185313 - 05/18/09 02:32 PM Re: Federal Credit Billing Act VolFan
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
The account balancing aid is strictly optional. Given most bank customers' track record on account reconciliation, I suggest it's a waste of space.

The Fair Credit Billing Act language would only apply to a checking account if it has a revolving line of credit attached to it.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1185604 - 05/18/09 06:42 PM Re: Federal Credit Billing Act John Burnett
VolFan Offline
100 Club
Thanks to each of you for your help. Getting this solved has made my day!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z