Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#914597 - 03/04/08 05:23 PM Must we Cash a Large Cashier's Check?
taknleavofmysenses Offline
100 Club
USA
If a customer comes into the Bank and wants to cash a $100,000 Cashier's Check drawn on our bank, must we cash immediately? Can we set a dollar limit that we will only provide cash for amounts up to XXX?
Can we require an advance notice on large cash items (i.e. 3 days notice.)
If we set these types of limitations, do we simply post a notice at the teller line?

Thanks in advance for any direction you can provide.

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#914637 - 03/04/08 05:50 PM Re: Must we Cash a Large Cashier's Check? taknleavofmysenses
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
This should be covered in your account agreement. Ours is addressed under “Transaction Limitations.” I know of other FIs that have set daily cash withdrawal limits on accounts. You may be able to convince the customer of the potential dangers of walking out the door with that amount of money. They might be open to some other option (cash + cashiers check, wire transfer, etc.)

Return to Top
#914638 - 03/04/08 05:50 PM Re: Must we Cash a Large Cashier's Check? taknleavofmysenses
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
We have told customers in the past that cash in that amount must be ordered from xxx and they would need to wait until say March 10th. If you do not keep that much extra cash on hand it is not required that you run yourself short. IMHO

Return to Top
#915843 - 03/05/08 10:52 PM Re: Must we Cash a Large Cashier's Check? Skittles
AvidBanker Offline
New Poster
This may be a foolish question on my part, but if you're not going to cash it....why did you issue it? Would you accept the check for deposit and give immediate credit?

Return to Top
#915959 - 03/06/08 02:28 AM Re: Must we Cash a Large Cashier's Check? AvidBanker
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Avid - I think the issue at hand is having sufficient cash on had to cash the check at the moment of presentment, not the overall willingness to do so.

Return to Top
#915970 - 03/06/08 02:58 AM Re: Must we Cash a Large Cashier's Check? #Just Jay
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI
I don't think it's unreasonable to give a portion of the check in cash and the remainder in another cashiers check. Then set up an appointment for the client to return to get the remainder. We don't have any obligation to clean out our vault cash for anyone, even a client. I had a client get very angry in a similar situation, and ask, "Aren't you a bank? Why don't you have the cash on hand?" He didn't understand that we didn't actually make the money - and that we had to have it available for other clients.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett