Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#901238 - 02/07/08 02:30 AM Training New Tellers
LisaJ Offline
So. Utah
I'm in the process of training 3 completely new tellers. They've never worked in banking before and have just learned our teller system. Does anyone know if there is a place where I can find mock banking transactions in the form of story problems?

Example:

Sally comes into the bank and wants to deposit her paycheck into her accounts. She wants $300 in Savings, $25 in cash, and the balance in Checking. Her savings account number is 9754261. Her Checking account number is 7615189.

We have a training book with examples like this, but they have been over these same examples several times now, and need some more variety. I was just wondering if there's anything out on the World Wide Web like this that anyone else has run into. Thanks!

Return to Top
General Discussion
#901257 - 02/07/08 11:52 AM Re: Training New Tellers LisaJ
momof4! Offline
New Poster
When training new tellers I think of scenarios on the fly and write the information on a white board. Are you required to only use pre-determined transactions?

Return to Top
#901660 - 02/07/08 08:01 PM Re: Training New Tellers momof4!
I Wear Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
I Wear Many Hats
the beautiful state of ME
Why not have some of your tellers write down some actual transactions for you - then they can get familiar with your account numbers and what you call different account types, transaction types, etc.

Return to Top
#901668 - 02/07/08 08:06 PM Re: Training New Tellers momof4!
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
If you want to create a paper of these scenarios, why not go to your tellers and ask them each for three real transactions they have had, an easy one, a medium difficulty transaction and a hard one. BSA, non-BSA, SAR, non-SAR, DDA, savings, MMDA, etc. This makes it real world, specific to your bank, and how much better can it get than involving your own staff.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#903203 - 02/12/08 04:20 PM Re: Training New Tellers Andy_Z
CheshireAliCat Offline
100 Club
NJ
Does your teller system support presentments, or are you completely on-line? I have a few mock-accounts, held open at $0, just for training. I made up deposit and withdrawal slips, as well as checks (both transit and on-us,) so that new tellers can "process" these false transactions. Instead of sending these transactions through the system when we are done, we shred them so they are not posted. With only some play money, a few accounts (and a lot of photo-copying,) I can teach the basics, as well as transfers, splits, and monetary instrument sales. The real fun comes in the counterfeits and "errors"...
Last edited by CheshireAliCat; 02/12/08 04:27 PM.
Return to Top
#903490 - 02/12/08 07:54 PM Re: Training New Tellers CheshireAliCat
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
If your bank has a "test bank" that is not live, you can have all sorts of fun with mock transactions.

Return to Top
#918146 - 03/08/08 11:21 PM Re: Training New Tellers Blade Scrapper
TrngMgr Offline
NJ
We train new tellers using the live bank but with offline training drawer numbers. The trainees process copies of real transactions, so training is able to cover every type of transaction. Nothing posts to the customers' accounts, of course, but the trainees see real stop payments, overdrawn accounts, system alerts - the whole works. It makes for a much more 'experienced' new teller. I visit branches often, and make copies of transactions while I'm there, and also do the same in the transit area. Of course, I spend LOTS of time at the copier!

Return to Top