BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1958439 - 09/02/14 01:39 PM Nasty little buggers - Lice
ecrew,CRCM Offline
100 Club
ecrew,CRCM
Fl
Can anyone offer some advice on this little buggers? My oldest daughter contracted head lice 2 months ago. I followed all the directions, treated all in the household, and retreated a couple of times. Did daily checks.
Well, this weekend they are back. I wholeheartedly do not think its a re-infestation. I think one of my kids contracted it from somewhere. I have treated the household with Fairytales Lice Remover, twice. Bagged up toys, washed clothes and linen, vacuumed the carpets, boiled hair brushes. Everything I did the first time.
Anyone have any additional advice to help prevent or how to make sure they are gone?

Return to Top
#1958440 - 09/02/14 01:41 PM Re: Nasty little buggers - Lice ecrew,CRCM
JWills, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
I was told that if you buy teatree oil and put 8-9 drops into the bottle of shampoo, that head lice do not like it and will stay away from it. A friend told me this, as I had asked because my granddaughter will be attending preschool 4 full days and she has very long hair, we definitely do not want to deal with it.

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top
#1958446 - 09/02/14 01:54 PM Re: Nasty little buggers - Lice ecrew,CRCM
ecrew,CRCM Offline
100 Club
ecrew,CRCM
Fl
I read about the teatree oil as well. The fairytale line has a leave in conditioning repellent and shampoo and conditioner to help prevent lice too. I am using the condition spray to help detangle the kids hair as I am combing through it.

My oldest is going to be 9, and this is only the second time we have it. I think the first was her dance camp and it could be the same now. I just don't know.

I have teatree oil at home, I will add some to our shampoo bottles.

Return to Top
#1958460 - 09/02/14 02:10 PM Re: Nasty little buggers - Lice ecrew,CRCM
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
shave the head...it's just hair, it grows back...

Return to Top
#1958471 - 09/02/14 02:30 PM Re: Nasty little buggers - Lice ecrew,CRCM
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Kids have to remember not to share combs, brushes, hats etc. You can completely get them out of your house and the kids swap hats at Little League, and here we go again.

Return to Top
#1958484 - 09/02/14 02:57 PM Re: Nasty little buggers - Lice ecrew,CRCM
ecrew,CRCM Offline
100 Club
ecrew,CRCM
Fl
My oldest knows not too. She won't even share her comb with her cousin. But, in dance they share costumes which is why I think that's where they came from 2 months ago. The boy doesn't like hats and we keep his hair short. But I know what you mean MyBrainHurts.

@ HappyGilmore - I have threatened to shave their heads. My hubby keeps telling me no, lol.

Return to Top
#1958485 - 09/02/14 02:58 PM Re: Nasty little buggers - Lice ecrew,CRCM
ecrew,CRCM Offline
100 Club
ecrew,CRCM
Fl
Was wondering if using the products to repel or using the tea tree oil would help now. we are on day #4 and didn't see any this morning while checking their heads. I even check mine, just in case.

Return to Top
#1958521 - 09/02/14 03:45 PM Re: Nasty little buggers - Lice ecrew,CRCM
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
I am itching my head... even the discussion makes me itch my head....

When my daughter got it (about 18 years ago now), we tried 2 store bought remedies and one prescription shampoo. I was then told by a friend to put vaseline on her head because it suffocates them. That did the trick... it was several shampoos with Dawn dishwashing soap to get the vaseline back out - but I would use that again in a heartbeat.

Return to Top
#1958532 - 09/02/14 04:06 PM Re: Nasty little buggers - Lice ecrew,CRCM
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
My sister used to use mayonnaise on their hair - and sleep in it - when treating my niece's hair. She got it a couple of times - I think the last time she was 13 and has long hair. It was time consuming to use that little comb, but it worked.

Return to Top
#1958547 - 09/02/14 04:27 PM Re: Nasty little buggers - Lice ecrew,CRCM
justsayjulie Offline
Gold Star
back home again
Neither of my girls have had them, thankfully, but my niece has gone through the ordeal three times in a year. The source ended up being sleepovers at a friend's house. The friend's mom treated the kid's hair, but not the bedding. So, each time my niece slept over, a new breakout. The mayonnaise method worked for her each time. And, her doctor encouraged her to not wash her hair daily. Lice have a hard time getting a grip on a strand of hair when there's a bit of oil on it. Squeaky clean hair is an ideal spot for them, 'cause they can latch on.

Return to Top
#1958569 - 09/02/14 05:03 PM Re: Nasty little buggers - Lice ecrew,CRCM
gacompliancegirl Offline
100 Club
hanging on by a thread
Blowing the hair dry will help prevent lice also. The little buggers can't take the heat.

Return to Top
#1958638 - 09/02/14 06:55 PM Re: Nasty little buggers - Lice ecrew,CRCM
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
Well I can tell you all about this nightmare. When my youngest was in kindergarten she was scratching her head and stupid me I thought she had dry scalp (it was winter in NY,but she was infested), anyway I treated her head with the nasty stuff you buy at Walmart, and every night for 30 days picked nits. I also retreated at day 15. The only way to totally control this is to pick all of the nits. It is time consuming and gross. Fast forward to 2nd grade and same daughter here we go again. This time I was smart and caught it right away, treated her again with the shampoo, picked nits for 30 days, and at day 15 covered her head in olive oil and had her sleep with it all night to smother anything that could be left. ( I really didn't want to put the chemicals on her head again). The lice need a host so if you have cleaned you house it is highly unlikely that it's back because of that. I researched and found that the lice do not like hairspray or tar based shampoos like T-Gel. I never let either of my girls wear their hair down until they were in jr. high. The irony of all of this is my daughter is now a hairdresser and says she will freak out if someone comes in the salon with bugs.... I asked her how she thought I felt, not once but twice treating her head. I would also make sure anyone that had contact is notified. The first time I was embrassed to call the school, the second time I was a lunitic on the phone with the school. Good luck I wouldn't wish that problem on anyone.

Return to Top
#1958650 - 09/02/14 07:11 PM Re: Nasty little buggers - Lice ecrew,CRCM
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
tell the kids it is for locks of loves and just shave away

Return to Top
#1958652 - 09/02/14 07:13 PM Re: Nasty little buggers - Lice ecrew,CRCM
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
Happy.. I told my daughter she would have to find another mother if she brought the little kritters home again! If I had boys shave away it would have been!

Return to Top
#1958664 - 09/02/14 07:29 PM Re: Nasty little buggers - Lice ecrew,CRCM
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
It is simple just a few words fix it. "(Wife, insert name) fix you daughters hair."

CAMS

Return to Top
#1958686 - 09/02/14 08:00 PM Re: Nasty little buggers - Lice ecrew,CRCM
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
" and every night for 30 days picked nits."

The commercial lenders were right. Compliance people are nitpickers.

Return to Top
#1958803 - 09/03/14 01:28 PM Re: Nasty little buggers - Lice ecrew,CRCM
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
LOL so true

Return to Top
#1959014 - 09/03/14 06:39 PM Re: Nasty little buggers - Lice ecrew,CRCM
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Licefreee shampoo, blow dry, then diligent metal lice comb work.

For bedding, wash and sanitize on high heat. Stuffies, pillows, and other things, if you can't wash them, dry them on high heat for at least 30 minutes. Hairbrushes and smaller items - freezer overnight.

Good luck!!

Return to Top
#1959030 - 09/03/14 06:54 PM Re: Nasty little buggers - Lice HappyGilmore
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
shave the head...it's just hair, it grows back...

Not always frown

Return to Top
#1959742 - 09/05/14 05:41 PM Re: Nasty little buggers - Lice 'Lil Freak!
Cornfed Turtle Offline
Diamond Poster
"...Somewhere in Middle Americ...
There's a battery-powered comb that zaps them.

Return to Top
#1959827 - 09/05/14 07:39 PM Re: Nasty little buggers - Lice ecrew,CRCM
ecrew,CRCM Offline
100 Club
ecrew,CRCM
Fl
I couldn't take anymore of these little buggers. I kept thinking I was doing something wrong. I'm pretty sure that I missed some the first time around and got a re-infestation. So I called a lice removal service. (I figured I was spending enough on products and I don't even want to see my next electric and water bills.) The tech came out to the house, and checked all of us. She told me I was on the right track and to continue combing using the nitcomb. Though she found babies and a few eggs she found no adults. She felt pretty confident that I didn't need her to treat us. That I would just need to do one more re-treat on all of us, and do once a week comb throughs. I figure she knew what she was talking about since I was prepared to shell out over $500 to treat us, and ended paying only $68. Also, if I do find an adult, she has to come back and treat all of us for free.

I asked her how to prevent from this happening again. She said weekly combing with the nit comb. Section the hair, put conditioner on the hair and comb. There is no 100% guarantee of prevention, but at least these way it can be caught before it gets out of hand.

Return to Top
#1960179 - 09/08/14 08:24 PM Re: Nasty little buggers - Lice ecrew,CRCM
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
I had a customer in today and she shaved her head! Her husband and son came back from camp with lice and she couln't get rid of them SO SHE SHAVED HER HEAD.

Return to Top
#1960272 - 09/09/14 01:03 PM Re: Nasty little buggers - Lice ecrew,CRCM
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Wow.

Return to Top
#1960275 - 09/09/14 01:06 PM Re: Nasty little buggers - Lice ecrew,CRCM
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
That is normally a solution reserved for an infestation south of the border.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett