Skip to content
BOL Conferences

Thread Options
#1899441 - 02/24/14 08:03 PM Transferring Funds
Daylily Offline
New Poster
Georgia
We have some customers who have two business accounts with the same name but one is Inc and one is LLC - different EIN's same signers. They are transferring funds between the two. Is this ok?

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#1899451 - 02/24/14 08:29 PM Re: Transferring Funds Daylily
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
It is OK as long as you allow it to happen. I would want to know the purpose of the transfers however to unsure they made sense from a business purpose and did not generate a SAR filing. Maybe they buy and sell products and materials from each other??? Who knows without asking.

Return to Top
#1899701 - 02/25/14 04:45 PM Re: Transferring Funds Daylily
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
As to the fact they have both a corporation (Inc.) and LLC, there's nothing at all problematic with that. Lots of corporations form LLCs for business ventures they wish to keep separate from their other operations.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1900156 - 02/26/14 04:30 PM Re: Transferring Funds Daylily
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
If I have an LLC and a corporation I set them up to protect myself from personal liability. However, I also set them up to contain risks; i.e. if the corporation gets sued, they cannot touch the LLC's assets even after the corporation's assets are exhausted.

However, if I merge the two entities' activities; e.g. transfer funds back and forth or open a common bank account, a claimant will "pierce the corporate veil" and say that the entities are really a single enterprise and that one is liable for the actions of the other.

It may not make a lot of difference to your bank, but if they are just moving money back and forth to wherever it's needed it's a pretty dumb thing for a customer to do.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett