Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#101414 - 07/28/03 05:26 PM Interest Tier Changes
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
We're buying some accounts, and changing some of the features when we do. One of the changes is to the tiers on interest bearing accounts. We have three tiers, the accounts currently have five. The first three current tiers are all within our first tier.

So, what do you think? Is it adverse? Would we have to evaluate the interest being paid on each tier in both institutions, or is it going to matter?

DD says,

"(1) Advance notice required. A depository institution shall give advance notice to affected consumers of any change in a term required to be disclosed under section 230.4(b) of this part if the change may reduce the annual percentage yield or adversely affect the consumer..."

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#101415 - 07/28/03 05:44 PM Re: Interest Tier Changes
111 Offline
Gold Star
It's bound to be adverse when you go from 5 to 3, so a notice would be required.

Return to Top
#101416 - 07/28/03 06:05 PM Re: Interest Tier Changes
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
I agree with T. The result is almost certain to be adverse.

However, even if it isn't, I still think you should disclose. This is likely to be your new customers' first impression of your bank. What sort of image do you want to project?

Return to Top
#101417 - 07/28/03 07:53 PM Re: Interest Tier Changes
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
Quote:

It's bound to be adverse when you go from 5 to 3, so a notice would be required.

Not necessarily. Remember - it's the first three tiers of theirs that fit into the first of ours. Theoretically, we'd pay a higher rate on a lower balance than they would, theirs would step up as the balance increased.

The issue is not what we want their customers to think of us, it's when. We plan some correspondence with each customer, but the timing of that is after the date any product change letters have to be mailed to meet the regulatory deadlines. Therefore, if we don't have to send a product change letter, we don't want to!

Return to Top
#101418 - 07/28/03 08:03 PM Re: Interest Tier Changes
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:

]Theoretically, we'd pay a higher rate on a lower balance than they would, theirs would step up as the balance increased.

Theoretically, your first tier could be paying less than third tier (or even the second or first tier). I would redisclose. It avoids all arguments & it clearly communicates the changes to the customers.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett