BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#104208 - 08/07/03 03:30 PM STOP PAYMENTS WHERE BOTH PARTIES ARE OUR CUSTOMER
BankButt Offline
New Poster
BankButt
Texas
OUR CUSTOMER #1 WROTE OUR CUSTOMER #2 A CHECK FOR $2000. OUR CUSTOMER NUMBER #2 CAME TO OUR BANK AND DEPOSITED $1800 OF THE CHECK AND GOT $200 CASH BACK, THIS WAS AT 2:00PM. AT 4:45 OUR CUSTOMER #1 CAME IN AN PUT A STOP PAYMENT ON THAT CHECK. THE EMPLOYEE THAT TOOK THE STOP HAD NO WAY OF KNOWING THE CHECK HAD ALREADY BEEN PRESENTED EARLIER THAT DAY SINCE IT WAS DEPOSITED AND DOESN'T SHOW ON CUSTOMER #1'S ACCOUNT AS COMING THROUGH YET. SO THE NEXT DAY WHEN IT KICKS OUT AS STOP PAYMENT IN BOOKKEEPING IT GETS CHARGED BACK TO #2'S ACCOUNT, EVEN THOUGH THERE WAS NO STOP ON AT THE TIME OF PRESENTMENT. BUT SINCE WE ARE ALLOWED TO STOP TRANSACTIONS THAT ARE IN MEMO (NOT YET HERE, COMING IN TOMORRROW) WE DON'T KNOW WHO IS IN THE RIGHT. WHICH CUSTOMER SHOULD PAY FOR THIS CHECK, [list] #1 OR #2?

Sorry for the caps, this is my first time!
Last edited by AMYFMBANK; 08/07/03 03:52 PM.
Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#104209 - 08/07/03 03:38 PM Re: STOP PAYMENTS WHERE BOTH PARTIES ARE OUR CUSTOMER
111 Offline
Gold Star
Don't use caps, please.

Customer #2 negotiated that check prior to the placement of a stop - the check should be paid against customer #1's account - your bank made a good faith effort to stop the checks, but it had already been negotiated, so the stop of not valid.

Return to Top
#104210 - 08/07/03 03:40 PM Re: STOP PAYMENTS WHERE BOTH PARTIES ARE OUR CUSTOMER
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
Hi Amy
Read your stop payment agreement. There should be verbiage in there that will cover your situation. If its what I have seen in the past the stop payment would not be valid as you cashed it before the stop was placed, and exempts you from the item processing situation you had.

Its a good idea to circulate stop orders to tellers as they are taken.

Also typing in Upper Case is not considered good form as its considered to be screaming at someone.

Return to Top
#104211 - 08/07/03 03:47 PM Re: STOP PAYMENTS WHERE BOTH PARTIES ARE OUR CUSTOMER
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
I read T's post and reread your post. Please clarify if the check was cashed prior to your customer arriving at 4:45 to place the stop payment order.

Return to Top
#104212 - 08/07/03 08:08 PM Re: STOP PAYMENTS WHERE BOTH PARTIES ARE OUR CUSTOMER
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I think the conundrum stems from a deposit of the $2,000 check, with $200 cash back. In many banking systems, this is done to keep the check with the deposit. However, the check, IMO would not have been paid at the time, only accepted for deposit. In that case, I think the stop was accepted in time to act upon it (the bank had until the next day to return the item), and customer #2 is out the dough.

Of course, customer #2 can still try to collect the $2,000 under the underlying transaction, directly from #1.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#104213 - 08/07/03 09:20 PM Re: STOP PAYMENTS WHERE BOTH PARTIES ARE OUR CUSTOMER
111 Offline
Gold Star
Quote:

I think the conundrum stems from a deposit of the $2,000 check, with $200 cash back. In many banking systems, this is done to keep the check with the deposit. However, the check, IMO would not have been paid at the time, only accepted for deposit. In that case, I think the stop was accepted in time to act upon it (the bank had until the next day to return the item), and customer #2 is out the dough.

Of course, customer #2 can still try to collect the $2,000 under the underlying transaction, directly from #1.

John: So, your position is that because the customer did not cash the entire check, only receiving $200, you would honor the stop and charge back the entire $2,000? So, what if the customer received $1,800 in cash and deposited $200.00 - no other funds available - under your scenario the bank would become liability for the $1,800 and possibly take a loss, correct?

Return to Top
#104214 - 08/08/03 03:20 PM Re: STOP PAYMENTS WHERE BOTH PARTIES ARE OUR CUSTOMER
111 Offline
Gold Star
John:

I don't want this issue to simply go to thread hell, as I wold be interested in your input on my last post. I'm thinking that due to the fact that the payee received as least part of the check in cash, the check was in fact negotiated prior to the placement of a stop.

Return to Top
#104215 - 08/08/03 03:26 PM Re: STOP PAYMENTS WHERE BOTH PARTIES ARE OUR CUSTOMER
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Quote:

I'm thinking that due to the fact that the payee received as least part of the check in cash, the check was in fact negotiated prior to the placement of a stop.

I'm not John, but I think this is the key consideration here. However, I'm not sure negotiated is the right term. Negotiation takes place whenever a check moves from one party to another- what is at issue here is payment At this point, I would defer to the state UCC to determine if this transaction meets the definition of payment.

Return to Top
#104216 - 08/08/03 03:32 PM Re: STOP PAYMENTS WHERE BOTH PARTIES ARE OUR CUSTOMER
111 Offline
Gold Star
Quote:

Quote:

I'm thinking that due to the fact that the payee received as least part of the check in cash, the check was in fact negotiated prior to the placement of a stop.

I'm not John, but I think this is the key consideration here. However, I'm not sure negotiated is the right term. Negotiation takes place whenever a check moves from one party to another- what is at issue here is payment At this point, I would defer to the state UCC to determine if this transaction meets the definition of payment.

So, what would be the outcome on this issue in your state? Would you void the stop?

Return to Top
#104217 - 08/08/03 03:32 PM Re: STOP PAYMENTS WHERE BOTH PARTIES ARE OUR CUSTOMER
BankButt Offline
New Poster
BankButt
Texas
What about the fact that the check was presented on the business day before 3:00, and the stop payment was placed on the account on what is considered the next business day, after the 3:00 cut off time?

Return to Top
#104218 - 08/08/03 03:38 PM Re: STOP PAYMENTS WHERE BOTH PARTIES ARE OUR CUSTOMER
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I think the only question here is whether the check was PAID at the time the bank accepted it for deposit and gave cash back. I'll have to do some research here, but I wonder what would be our opinion if the deposit consisted of 15 checks, including the check in question, and $200 of a total of $15,000 was taken as "cash back."

More later, I'm certain.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#104219 - 08/08/03 04:32 PM Re: STOP PAYMENTS WHERE BOTH PARTIES ARE OUR CUSTOMER
111 Offline
Gold Star
Quote:

I think the only question here is whether the check was PAID at the time the bank accepted it for deposit and gave cash back. I'll have to do some research here, but I wonder what would be our opinion if the deposit consisted of 15 checks, including the check in question, and $200 of a total of $15,000 was taken as "cash back."

Interesting point. The stop would probably be valid as there would be no way to prove that cash was given back based on the specific check in question. On the other hand, funds would normally be available to charge the stop back so this scenario would not necesarily place the bank at risk.

Back to this issue, my position is that if the check was cashed with $2,000 given to the payee, the stop would be voided - no doubt about it. Therefore, is it logical that when anything less than $2,000 relates to cash that the stop is valid?

On the other hand, if the check was simply deposited (no cash back) the stop would be valid.

The bottomline is that I believe the check was, in effect, transactionally paid when cash was given to the payee covering part of the check.

Return to Top
#104220 - 08/08/03 04:42 PM Re: STOP PAYMENTS WHERE BOTH PARTIES ARE OUR CUSTOMER
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Quote:

The bottomline is that I believe the check was, in effect, transactionally paid when cash was given to the payee covering part of the check.

I have to agree with this.

Return to Top
#104221 - 08/08/03 08:13 PM Re: STOP PAYMENTS WHERE BOTH PARTIES ARE OUR CUSTOMER
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
OK, I've done my research, after being interrupted by about three hours of WORK!

My source is my trusty-dusty Brady on Bank Checks again. In ΒΆ 15.03 (Final payment of on-us check in cash or by cashier's check), the author asks, "If a bank takes an on-us check on deposit but makes part payment in cash, has final payment taken place?" The text continues, citing a Virginia court case answering in the affirmative (Kirby v. First & Merchants Nat'l Bank, 210 Va. 88, 168 SE2d 273, 6 UCC Rep. 694 (1969)). In this case, "a $2,500 on-us check was received on deposit, against which the bank gave $200 in cash and a $2,300 deposit credit. . . .The court reasoned that, in effect, the bank had cashed the check for its full amount, $2,500, and then had received $2,300 of the cash back on deposit. The apparent reasoning. . . was that the check had been deposited along with a deposit slip that indicated a cash deposit of $2,300.

"Presumably," the text continues, "had the deposit slip indicated deposit of a particular $2,500 check, together with $200 cash against the deposit [this is how many banks handle these transactions, and it's commonly known as 'less cash' or 'cash back'], the result would have been different."

Another factor in the court's decision denying recovery of an overdraft caused by the bank's charge-back of the $2,500 check? "[T]he court stated that even if the settlement had been provisional and not final, the bank could charge the check back only if it had sent written notice of dishonor prior to its midnight deadline, which the bank had not done in this instance."

It was asked earlier whether the fact that the stop order was not received until 4:30 p.m. on the day the check was deposited affected the result. The stop payment order had to arrive in time sufficient for the bank to act on it. In this case, if we consider the check deposited rather than cashed, the bank had until its next business day deadline to act on the stop. If the deposit occurred on Monday, the stop would have to be made by cutoff on Tuesday. The time of the stop would have made a difference only if it wasn't received until Tuesday.

If the check is considered cashed rather than deposited (as we saw this may depend on how the transaction was recorded by the customer and by the bank), the stop was clearly too late, since it came after the check was paid.

Summing up, I believe that
  • if the deposit slip depicts a cash deposit of the net amount, rather than deposit of the check and cash back, or if the bank's transaction record shows the check cashed and cash deposited, a court would likely consider the check finally paid and not subject to the stop received later.

• if the deposit slip clearly shows the full check amount and a cash back amount, and/or the bank's transaction record shows a deposit of the check with cash back, a court would likely consider the check deposited, and subject to a timely stop order (received before the next business day's processing deadline).

• in the second instance, the bank would have to be certain it completed the charge back and placed a notice of charge-back/dishonor in the mail on the business day following the business day of the deposit.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#104222 - 08/10/03 04:51 PM Re: STOP PAYMENTS WHERE BOTH PARTIES ARE OUR CUSTOMER
111 Offline
Gold Star
John - you are the man!

To protect against a stop payment that same day, the check needs to be cashed with the cash deposited. If you simply "less cash" any amount, up to the full amount of the check, a stop payment that same day will result in a charge-back with the possibility that funds will not be available, due to the less cash.

If you take this one step further, even if you place a hold on the account that the check was drawn on, based on giving out less cash, the stop payment would still be valid for the full amount of the check, correct?. I wonder a little about Brady in this case.

For as far back as I can remember, tellers were (and are) told to use less cash. I wonder if any banks turn this type of transaction into a cash deposit! My bet is that they do not.

Return to Top
#104223 - 08/11/03 02:28 PM Re: STOP PAYMENTS WHERE BOTH PARTIES ARE OUR CUSTOMER
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Quote:

For as far back as I can remember, tellers were (and are) told to use less cash. I wonder if any banks turn this type of transaction into a cash deposit! My bet is that they do not.

Actually, it's amazing what some tellers will do in the name of "customer service." Unless well-trained, many will take the path of least resistance and follow customer instructions. Often, customers will ask that the check be cashed and cash deposited "so I don't have to wait to use the money." Others are savvy to the final payment in cash rule and don't want to worry about legal process or inclearing items, etc., possibly making the check they're depositing bounce.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#104224 - 08/15/03 09:53 PM Re: STOP PAYMENTS WHERE BOTH PARTIES ARE OUR CUSTOMER
Tisa Offline
Platinum Poster
Tisa
Do you know the way to ...
One issue I haven't seen addressed on this thread yet....

Our stop payment policy says we are not obilgated to stop a check within 24 hours of the time a stop payment order is made. That gives us some leeway if a check is in the middle of being processed (but has not yet been charged to the account) at the time the stop order is placed.

Are we unique in this clause?

Seems to me if the original poster's institution has a similar clause in their policy, the stop was not yet in effect when the payee came in to deposit, cash, or otherwise negotiate the check, so it's a valid transaction. The check was brought in at 2:00 and the stop not placed until 4:45. Check is already being processed, so cannot be stopped.

Return to Top
#104225 - 08/15/03 10:31 PM Re: STOP PAYMENTS WHERE BOTH PARTIES ARE OUR CUSTOMER
SJB Offline
Diamond Poster
SJB
California
Most banks just say the stop payment order must be received in time to stop the payment and that they have a reasonable time to process the stop order. I have not seen a specific hour limitation. What if that 24th hour ends on a Sunday?

Return to Top
#104226 - 08/15/03 10:57 PM Re: STOP PAYMENTS WHERE BOTH PARTIES ARE OUR CUSTOMER
Tisa Offline
Platinum Poster
Tisa
Do you know the way to ...
Here's a direct quote from that section of our stop policy:
"Stop payment requests will be processed promptly, but the bank will not be responsible for a check we pay within the first 24 hours after your request."

I don't know if anybody thought about stops placed on Fridays (we're not open on Saturdays).... Maybe it should be changed to: "within the current and next business days after your request."

I'll make a note of that for the next time we update....

Return to Top
#104227 - 08/18/03 01:07 PM Re: STOP PAYMENTS WHERE BOTH PARTIES ARE OUR CUSTOMER
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
It's well-accepted that many provisions of the UCC may be altered by contract, but I wonder, Tina, whether your bank's language would stand up in a court test. It seems a mite extreme.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett