Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1152118 - 03/26/09 05:50 PM All Money Transmitters-MSB????
Compliance101 Offline
Gold Star
Compliance101
Tennessee
This might be an obvious one. I have a customer (grocery store) who does wires through Western Union. Does this automatically make him a MSB? If not, why would he not be considered a MSB?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1152209 - 03/26/09 06:46 PM Re: All Money Transmitters-MSB???? Compliance101
DebL Offline
Gold Star
CA
The store is a MSB, but as an agent of Western Union,if this is the only MSB activity the store engages in, they don't need to register with FinCEN.

Return to Top
#1152237 - 03/26/09 07:12 PM Re: All Money Transmitters-MSB???? DebL
Kitcat19 Offline
Florida
Does the grocery store offer check cashing services (most do)? If so, they're an MSB.

Return to Top
#1152293 - 03/26/09 07:53 PM Re: All Money Transmitters-MSB???? Kitcat19
Compliance101 Offline
Gold Star
Compliance101
Tennessee
The store sales MO but only for under the threshold. The main concern is the wire through Western Union. I told the owner to contact FinCEN directly for an Administrative ruling. One of my other customers did this and received a letter back (it did take a little while though). So I am hoping they tell my customer NO. For mine and the customers sake.

Return to Top
#1152378 - 03/26/09 09:19 PM Re: All Money Transmitters-MSB???? Compliance101
devsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
NYC
Whose MOs do they sell? If WU (through Integrated Payment System) they are doing so under agent agreement and, as BSAdiva indicated, they are certainly an MSB but do not need to register with FinCEN. As long as you have a copy of their WU agreement, or can verify their agent status in another way, such as on the WU Web site, you should not need any other administrative ruling, etc. However, this does not mean that you do not have to monitor the activity in the account, show the custome ras an MSB in your files, etc.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z