Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#128264 - 11/04/03 05:53 PM HMDA Lobby Notice
Anonymous
Unregistered

The sample poster language in the HMDA commentary has changed to include the availability of ethnicity information. I'm curious as to when other banks will be revising their lobby signage? Will you do it in early 2005 when the ethnicity data is actually available to the public?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#128265 - 11/04/03 07:36 PM Re: HMDA Lobby Notice
Anonymous
Unregistered

The signs are available from vendors now. We have ordered them and will be in place at the end of 2003.

Return to Top
#128266 - 11/04/03 08:38 PM Re: HMDA Lobby Notice
GreatBlue Offline
Diamond Poster
GreatBlue
Colorado
That's a good question. I think I'd rather deal with the remote possibility that someone will ask for data and then be upset that it doesn't include ethnicity information, than try to explain to an examiner that I chose not to use the new language because I did not actually have ethnicity data available for review.

Return to Top
#128267 - 11/05/03 04:34 PM Re: HMDA Lobby Notice
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
The notice under 5(e) is suggested text, not required. You could easily add something to the effect of "Information obtained in one year will be available the following year."

This would both meet regulatory expectations and inform a consumer/group that this year's data is available next year. So if there is new data in 2004, it is available in 2005+. Also, by not using 2003, etc. maintenance is low and you don't have to mark next years calendar to update the sign.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#128268 - 11/05/03 05:08 PM Re: HMDA Lobby Notice
Anonymous
Unregistered

We ordered our signs already and will put them up in 2004, easier then making sure we don't forget in 2005...

Return to Top
#128269 - 11/05/03 05:27 PM Re: HMDA Lobby Notice
c.a.r Offline
Gold Star
c.a.r
Texas, USA
forgot to login.. HI Andy... enjoyed meeting you in Norman.

Return to Top
#128270 - 11/05/03 05:35 PM Re: HMDA Lobby Notice
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Can anyone share their vendor's name? Please.

Return to Top
#128271 - 11/05/03 05:37 PM Re: HMDA Lobby Notice
c.a.r Offline
Gold Star
c.a.r
Texas, USA
I ordered ours from Bankers Systems...

Return to Top
#128272 - 11/05/03 08:53 PM Re: HMDA Lobby Notice
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA
Quote:

The sample poster language in the HMDA commentary has changed to include the availability of ethnicity information. I'm curious as to when other banks will be revising their lobby signage? Will you do it in early 2005 when the ethnicity data is actually available to the public?

I attended a HMDA seminar this morning at the Philadelphia Federal Reserve Bank and I posed this question to the various examiners and other Fed representatives there. The general consensus was that there are a number of solutions to this problem. Andy's suggestion to add a sentence (about the timing of the availability of the data) to the model language will work - as would an asterisk next to the word "ethnicity" with an explanation at the bottom that this data will be available in mid-2005. You can also leave the existing language in place and not change your poster until the ethnicity data are actually available for review in 2005. The important thing is that the disclosure accurately reflects the availability of the data.

Return to Top
#128273 - 11/06/03 04:20 AM Re: HMDA Lobby Notice
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I would just get the new notices. How many people actually ask for it and of those, how many will question the missing ethnicity info?

Return to Top
#128274 - 01/13/04 08:59 PM Re: HMDA Lobby Notice
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do we have to have a lobby notice if our bank is NOT subject to HmDA?

Return to Top
#128275 - 01/13/04 09:26 PM Re: HMDA Lobby Notice
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
No. If you do not meet the HMDA thresholds then you are not subject to Reg. C.

Return to Top
#128276 - 01/13/04 10:01 PM Re: HMDA Lobby Notice
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Quote:

Can anyone share their vendor's name? Please.

We create our own as a Word Document. The verbiage is not that complicated. Then we email the document to the branches with instructions to replace the existing disclosure with the new one.

Return to Top
#128277 - 04/16/04 11:50 PM Re: HMDA Lobby Notice
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does the HMDA notice have to placed in "every" branch office or only certain offices?

Return to Top
#128278 - 04/16/04 11:54 PM Re: HMDA Lobby Notice
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Post a general notice about the availability of your HMDA data in the lobby of your home office and in each branch office located in an MSA and Metropolitan Division.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#128279 - 05/04/04 05:12 PM Re: HMDA Lobby Notice
Anonymous
Unregistered

Am I reading this correctly that a notice posted in our branches such as "inquire at this office about how to obtain a copy of this data" would satisfy 203.5(e). But it would have to be more specific, i.e., disclose a specific address, to comply with 203.5(b)(3)(ii)?

Return to Top
#128280 - 05/04/04 08:58 PM Re: HMDA Lobby Notice
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why not just put on your poster the wording like: The Home Mortgage Disclosure Statement is available for inspection at the location listed below. To obtain a copy please send a written request to: And then list trhe name, dept. and tel no. The HMDA reg. gave us this option several years ago and the examiners have said this is o.k. This keeps us from having to revise our posters all the time.

Return to Top
#128281 - 05/05/04 04:42 PM Re: HMDA Lobby Notice
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for confirming my thoughts as well.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z