Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1325136 - 01/15/10 01:03 PM pet meds
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
I remember recently discussing how to give dogs and cats medicines somewhere on BOL but for the life of me I couldn't find the thread this am...probably because I'm one of those who doesn't really function till after 10:00am.

Anyway, I wanted to share that I stumbled across one of the best ways to give cats meds, especially things like the hairball stuff from the tube. You put it on their paw and they lick it off.

I remembered this yesterday when I was trying to force my little 5 lb, 14 yr old cat, Ice, to eat some whipped cream. She'd been lethargic for over 24 hrs. and at that weight, you can't let them go for long without liquids at least. She was fussing at my putting it on her lips so I put her down and she started to lick her paw reminding me that a vet had suggested the meds on paw long ago. Sure enough, she licked off a couple Tbls of whipped cream and is much more animated this morning due, at least in part, to the liquid and sugar in the cream.

Whew. I was worried about her yesterday. Today I'll go get her favorite canned food and entice her back on track eating too.

Return to Top
#1325193 - 01/15/10 03:03 PM Re: pet meds Truffle Royale
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Truff - the paw trick is a good one! If she still doesn't want to eat, try putting down a dish of the water from canned tuna. My mom used to do that with her elderly cats when they didn't want to eat/drink. Beef broth sometimes worked, too - but you have to make sure to get the low sodium stuff.

Return to Top
#1325202 - 01/15/10 03:12 PM Re: pet meds RR Becca
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Great idea, Truff.

We have to 'work' with our dogs to take pills. The vet suggested to give them medication in a piece of turkey hotdog. This works on all but the greyhound - we just put his in his food and it's gone instantaneously.

Return to Top
#1325223 - 01/15/10 03:32 PM Re: pet meds Skittles
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
This is great info, Truff!!! My babies are getting older and I'm sure I'll be at this road soon enough.
Thanks!

Return to Top
#1325230 - 01/15/10 03:34 PM Re: pet meds Mrs. Rizzo
Peepers Offline
10K Club
this worked great on one cat

another cat just wiped her paw on the carpet.....couch.....bed....

Return to Top
#1325232 - 01/15/10 03:36 PM Re: pet meds Skittles
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
I've also added water to the pets food to get them more fluids.

My cat is to the point that I give him subcutaneous fluids every few days to keep him feeling better. It isn't expensive and not hard to do, either, Truff. Some of you know that he's almost 18 and in the final stages of kidney failure...

Also, with cats, my vet had suggested putting stuff on his nose to get him to lick it off, too.

For dogs, I've used lots of tricks. One of them will just eat most pills with her food. Otherwise, canned dog food, baby food, mashed potatoes, liver sausage, cream cheese and ice cream have all worked at various times.
Last edited by hmdagal; 01/15/10 03:39 PM.
Return to Top
#1325296 - 01/15/10 04:01 PM Re: pet meds hmdagal
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
My dogs will eat anything wrapped in a piece of cheese or bread. They don't even slow don't long enough to figure out that something icky is hidden in it.

Return to Top
#1325363 - 01/15/10 04:39 PM Re: pet meds RR Becca
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Originally Posted By: RR Becca
My dogs will eat anything wrapped in a piece of cheese or bread. They don't even slow don't long enough to figure out that something icky is hidden in it.

Ditto the cheese...woofed down without even chewing and so easy to do with the flat sandwich cheese.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1325384 - 01/15/10 04:49 PM Re: pet meds RR Joker
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
Yep...my two will eat ANYTHING that is smashed into a Kraft American Cheese Single.

Return to Top
#1325415 - 01/15/10 05:12 PM Re: pet meds RR Jen
Peepers Offline
10K Club
sometimes I will too.......if I've had enough to drink

Return to Top
#1325468 - 01/15/10 05:52 PM Re: pet meds Peepers
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
Windy will pretty much just eat anything. I'm lucky it's that easy. For me, paw licking isn't something I want to encourage. We've worked hard on discouraging to lick her paws.. something she used to do obsessively. Now, she seems to only do it when she's anxious.

Return to Top
#1325474 - 01/15/10 05:58 PM Re: pet meds Ops
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Careful with the paw trick. My vet advise that, too, but my cat Cleo (RIP, I miss you!) was too smart and just "flicked" her paw, spraying laxatone in an amazing 10 foot diameter sticky stinky mess all over my bedroom furniture, comforter, rug, floor, wall, etc. Argh! What a mess. I *NEVER* tried that again.

Return to Top
#1325876 - 01/15/10 09:40 PM Re: pet meds BurntSienna
East Texas Offline
Diamond Poster
East Texas
With hairball meds I always rub it on their nose and they lick it off. Our german chocolate shepherd (mix of shepherd and lab), Sugar, needs Benadryl from time to time. She won't take it with hot dog, bologna, or cheese...but if I take a small dog biscuit (or other treat) and hide the capsule in peanut butter, she'll wolf it right down.

Return to Top
#1325901 - 01/15/10 09:54 PM Re: pet meds East Texas
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Unless it involves copious amounts of peanut butter wrapped in cheese my dog knows the pill is in there!

Return to Top
#1325996 - 01/15/10 11:00 PM Re: pet meds RR Sarah
Big Sis Offline
With my cats, chicken or turkey flavored baby food always does the trick. I can hide liquid or powdered meds in there and they will eat it.

Return to Top
#1326063 - 01/16/10 01:24 AM Re: pet meds Big Sis
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
I knew I always wanted a Big Sis for a reason! Baby food is a great idea, especially for a geriatric cat. I'll have to try that next time. Mom gave her the tuna water someone here suggested earlier today. When I got home, she ate some teeny kibble dry food I got. I've got her favorite canned food to entice her with later too.

Return to Top
#1326076 - 01/16/10 05:23 AM Re: pet meds Truffle Royale
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
There is also a liquid product for cats that is like Ensure. It is dairy like so they generally will lap it up and has lots of vitamins, etc. Good for elderly cats who might not feel like chowing down.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1326312 - 01/19/10 02:18 PM Re: pet meds Kathleen O. Blanchard
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I can't believe I forgot about the baby food! I used that for my ferrets when their teeth started going bad.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett