Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#174975 - 03/30/04 08:49 PM Lien Perfection
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a 46'vessel that I need to perfect the lien on. I have done a Ucc-1 to the State but I attended a seminar and was told the Ucc-1 did not apply to a boat over 35' which would exceed displacement of 10,000 pounds of water. Is this true? If it is how would I go about perfecting my lien? The instructor said something about the lien being acheived via the Federal Ship Mortgage Act. I cannot find anything on this and neither can our attorneys. I am in the state of Tennessee.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#174976 - 03/30/04 08:52 PM Re: Lien Perfection
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I'm going on memory here, but you do need a Preferred Ships Mortgage filed with the Coast Guard (I think). Check with them to see what you need to do. If I remember, it's rather expensive to file and it's a very long document.

Also, I think the engine needs to have a UCC filed also.

Return to Top
#174977 - 03/30/04 09:00 PM Re: Lien Perfection
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
You do need to have a First Preferred Ships Mortgage filed with the Coast Guard. We use a documentation service that handles preparing and filing the mortgage for us (South Carolina). We also file a UCC as it can take several months for the documentation to be completed.

Return to Top
#174978 - 03/30/04 09:01 PM Re: Lien Perfection
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
Same answer. If the boat is titled, then you would file with the state, and put the encumberance on the title. If the boat is a documented vessel, then you would need the 1st Preferred Ship's Mortgage, with the Coast Guard. A marine broker should be able to walk you through the process.

Return to Top
#174979 - 03/30/04 10:23 PM Re: Lien Perfection
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
I learned something today! I'm going to have to file it in the "probably won't ever need to know out here in West Texas with the dirt blowing outside and there's not any water for hundreds of miles that will float a 35 foot boat" file - but I did learn! Very interesting.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z