Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#17708 - 05/14/02 04:40 PM Web sites
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
I noticed that at least one person has their personal web site listed in their personal information on this BOL Thread (I will not embarrass them by name). Just click on their username and there it is. That web site links to web pages for that person's wife and kids--with pictures, their interests, and email addresses.

BAD IDEA! I hope everyone realizes how little information it takes for a person to track down your family and kids? The information on the web site I am speaking of is a gold mine for a person with ill intent. Children are very vunerable to to saavy sex criminals. I am not being alarmist. Protect your family--do not make your families' web sites available to the public.

You also need to make sure that a Google (or any other)search does not find your family web sites. A password for your friends and family would not be a bad idea.

Maybe Dana Turner can give some advice on this.

Return to Top
Security - PUBLIC
#17709 - 05/15/02 06:29 PM Re: Web sites
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
I know who exactly you're referring to and I couldn't agree with you more. Not a good idea these days anyway.

Return to Top
#17710 - 05/20/02 12:01 PM Re: Web sites
Dana Turner Offline

Platinum Poster
Dana Turner
Pipe Creek TX - U.S.
Zaibatsu:

Thanks -- your observations, comments and suggestions are excellent. When I perform security reviews for financial institutions and other companies, I always take a long look at the client's website and the annual report that's available to the public. I'm looking at them as a crook would, in preparation for committing a crime -- I'm looking for anything that will allow me access to or influence with the client's:
- Employees and insiders;
- Customers, vendors or third-party service providers;
- Facilities that it owns, maintains, rents or controls;
- Assets, both tangible and intangible; and
- Records, both electronic and physical (paper).

Examples of information that may provide opportunities for compromise include:
- Is there anything on that website that would help me identify personnel (including board members) such as job titles, photos, telephone numbers or addresses?
- Are actual locations listed for Operations or Data Centers?
- Are photos of cash-handling facilities available?
- Do the names of third-party service providers appear, such as law firms, armored car or guard companies?

For emphasis, take any photo of one of your employees that's available to the public. Draw a big "bulls-eye" on that photo in bright, red ink. While kidnapping bank employees doesn't happen often, they do happen. Add to this issue the related crimes of stalking, sexual assault, child molestation and extortion -- and you may realize that controlling the publication of personal information should be an integral part of the institution's Security Program.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z