Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1970615 - 10/20/14 07:54 PM Phase II DOEP-One of Three Related Businesses
BSA Aficionado Offline
If a bank aggregates transactions for businesses with common ownership due to the businesses not being operated independent of each other or their common owner, is Phase II exemption possible for one account of one of the related entities?

Example: John Smith owns four retail businesses, all within the same industry (none are on the list of prohibited businesses, three of which the Bank aggregates currency transactions for CTR purposes. The Bank is seeking to file a Phase II DOEP for only one of the retail businesses, as the bulk of reportable activity for the aggregated CTRs are for transactions stemming from the main operating account of this particular business.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1970624 - 10/20/14 08:14 PM Re: Phase II DOEP-One of Three Related Businesses BSA Aficionado
BSA Aficionado Offline
In looking at my own question, I am thinking I would have to exempt all or none of the related businesses. Am I correct?

Return to Top
#1970652 - 10/20/14 09:10 PM Re: Phase II DOEP-One of Three Related Businesses BSA Aficionado
devsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
NYC
I could be wrong but I believe that each business entity must be looked at independently to ensure that each is eligible for exemption (account opened for at least 2 months with at least 5 reportable transactions). The fact that you always aggregate would not be a factor.

Return to Top
#1970695 - 10/21/14 02:20 AM Re: Phase II DOEP-One of Three Related Businesses BSA Aficionado
BSA Aficionado Offline
I agree that each business entity would have to independently qualify for exemption. Let's say that only one or two qualify for exemption. Can they be exempted without the third if we have already concluded that they do not act independently from each other and are already aggregating their transactions?

Return to Top
#1970941 - 10/21/14 08:55 PM Re: Phase II DOEP-One of Three Related Businesses BSA Aficionado
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
The DOEP only allows you to list one customer...

As your CTR filing acknowledges that these entities are not divisible from one another, I do not know how you would defend the logic of selecting just one of them for exemption.

Return to Top
#1970972 - 10/21/14 10:32 PM Re: Phase II DOEP-One of Three Related Businesses BSA Aficionado
BSA Aficionado Offline
That was exactly my thought. In May, we determined that these businesses do not operate independently and began aggregating their transactions based upon identifying that money was being moved between the accounts via in-person transfers at the branch, check, and/or online transfers.

When I called and left a message for FinCEN, they left me a message (the one minute I left my desk) stating that I could exempt one of the related entities. I will be calling again to confirm by speaking to a live person (I will stay at my desk until they call this time!).

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z