Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#261861 - 10/27/04 04:18 PM Anyone ever filmed a movie?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My friends and I wrote a script and we are thinking about actually filming the movie ourselves. Has anyone on here done this before? What are the costs, etc?
Any other suggestions?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#261862 - 10/27/04 04:20 PM Re: Anyone ever filmed a movie?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not that I'd let anyone ever see

Return to Top
#261863 - 10/27/04 04:52 PM Re: Anyone ever filmed a movie?
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
My cousin has - he wrote/scripted/directed etc "Agent 12", which is getting popular in certain circles and got invited to Sundance. There are costs involved but they can be minimized if you are skilled at computer manipulations and are handy (can build your own sets, do your own costumes, etc.) He filmed most of it in his garage or in nearby locations. What got expensive/exciting was all the explosions, lol. And it's an awfully time-intensive project.

Return to Top
#261864 - 10/27/04 04:57 PM Re: Anyone ever filmed a movie?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

My cousin has - he wrote/scripted/directed etc "Agent 12", which is getting popular in certain circles and got invited to Sundance. There are costs involved but they can be minimized if you are skilled at computer manipulations and are handy (can build your own sets, do your own costumes, etc.) He filmed most of it in his garage or in nearby locations. What got expensive/exciting was all the explosions, lol. And it's an awfully time-intensive project.

Have you seen it? That sounds awesome. I have been reading books and watching the bonus footage on DVDs of making of and stuff like that.
Did he get his friends to act or hire "real" actors?

Return to Top
#261865 - 10/27/04 05:00 PM Re: Anyone ever filmed a movie?
Phoenix Offline
Platinum Poster
Phoenix
southeast
Check out the resources through your local public access TV, if there's one nearby. There may be several professional or amateur audiovisual and/or filmmaking associations to network through, or local colleges with resources and ideas.

I've taped and edited TV shows - primarily "talking heads" non-fiction, no movies, because of limited time.

Return to Top
#261866 - 10/27/04 06:32 PM Re: Anyone ever filmed a movie?
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
It is pretty good. It stars his younger son and his son's friends, so the acting is about what you'd expect, but it's fun. They're working on the sequel now.

Return to Top
#261867 - 10/27/04 08:23 PM Re: Anyone ever filmed a movie?
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I had a part in a movie filmed by a friend many years ago (no not that kind of movie! ). It was a sequal to a movie he had made a few years before - a silent horror movie. This is probably nothing of the scale that you are talking about, but it was fun to do. We all had a hand in the lighting, sets, camera, script and so on. We filmed it at someone's camp over a weekend - this was old 8mm film camera, before camcorders. As I recall it was called "Attack of the Human Eyebrow" or something like that - a poke at a friend with an unfortunate "unibrow" condition. Come to think of it, I think he gave me a VHS copy of this movie, I will have to dig it out and take a look!

Return to Top
#261868 - 10/28/04 04:44 PM Re: Anyone ever filmed a movie?
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
We scripted, created and filmed a 30 minute fair lending training video for distribution to all our branch offices. The overall costs were about $14,000. and it included 400 VHS copies.

A few things we learned - professional talent and an experienced camera man and film crew makes a difference. Scenes are shot usually three times even if perfect - different angles so it does not look flat. Actors can adapt - regular people can't - using a regular 8mm or VHS camera is OK, if you show it in your own living room. Professional equiptment is much better.

The 30 minute video took almost 12 hours to shoot - and the results got pretty good reviews.

Check with your local school system to see if they have any TV/video production classes in the high school or community college. Also, scripts usually come from things you read or saw, even if sublimital. If you're going to go ahead with the video, make sure you are not infringing on someone elses intellectual property.

Return to Top
#261869 - 10/28/04 05:02 PM Re: Anyone ever filmed a movie?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

We scripted, created and filmed a 30 minute fair lending training video for distribution to all our branch offices. The overall costs were about $14,000. and it included 400 VHS copies.

A few things we learned - professional talent and an experienced camera man and film crew makes a difference. Scenes are shot usually three times even if perfect - different angles so it does not look flat. Actors can adapt - regular people can't - using a regular 8mm or VHS camera is OK, if you show it in your own living room. Professional equiptment is much better.

The 30 minute video took almost 12 hours to shoot - and the results got pretty good reviews.

Check with your local school system to see if they have any TV/video production classes in the high school or community college. Also, scripts usually come from things you read or saw, even if sublimital. If you're going to go ahead with the video, make sure you are not infringing on someone elses intellectual property.

That's what we have come across, We are trying to let our influences influence us but not rip them off. We come from that Kevin Smith, Quentin Tarantino influence school. I have read books that say you can make a motion picture for the price of a new car. Kevin Smith made "Clerks" for $27,000, all on credit cards.

Return to Top
#261870 - 10/28/04 05:09 PM Re: Anyone ever filmed a movie?
Phoenix Offline
Platinum Poster
Phoenix
southeast
As digital editing software becomes more user-friendly, those costs can really go down. I haven't tried any of that software yet, but I've heard that the Premiere Studio product line, and even Microsoft's i-Movie(?) are quite good. But - editing can only improve (or occasionally reduce) the quality of the original filming and story, not replace those elements....

Return to Top
#261871 - 10/28/04 05:17 PM Re: Anyone ever filmed a movie?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

As digital editing software becomes more user-friendly, those costs can really go down. I haven't tried any of that software yet, but I've heard that the Premiere Studio product line, and even Microsoft's i-Movie(?) are quite good. But - editing can only improve (or occasionally reduce) the quality of the original filming and story, not replace those elements....

Do you know of any stores or chains that sell this kind of equipment?

Return to Top
#261872 - 10/28/04 05:34 PM Re: Anyone ever filmed a movie?
Phoenix Offline
Platinum Poster
Phoenix
southeast
CompUSA has some of the Premiere Studio line, and professional A/V magazines have advertisements for that and Avid software suites, and related products - as usual, check the specs carefully to make sure that you have a PC to handle it. I think the i-Movie is a free download through MSN with some of the newer (post Windows98) Windows computers - "Google" or "Froogle" each to find out more.

With any film editing software, the biggest problem is hard drive space, closely followed by RAM and computer speed. You've got to download a file with dense visual, movement, and sound, and each one of those takes up a lot of space. Then you use the software to do whatever - correct color, add/change/delete soundtracks, add/change/delete any "special effects" - and each editing command has to go through the downloaded file in order to be implemented. That's time-consuming, especially if you want to check the results after each command.

The whole process is wonderfully creative!

Return to Top
#261873 - 10/28/04 05:39 PM Re: Anyone ever filmed a movie?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

CompUSA has some of the Premiere Studio line, and professional A/V magazines have advertisements for that and Avid software suites, and related products - as usual, check the specs carefully to make sure that you have a PC to handle it. I think the i-Movie is a free download through MSN with some of the newer (post Windows98) Windows computers - "Google" or "Froogle" each to find out more.

With any film editing software, the biggest problem is hard drive space, closely followed by RAM and computer speed. You've got to download a file with dense visual, movement, and sound, and each one of those takes up a lot of space. Then you use the software to do whatever - correct color, add/change/delete soundtracks, add/change/delete any "special effects" - and each editing command has to go through the downloaded file in order to be implemented. That's time-consuming, especially if you want to check the results after each command.

The whole process is wonderfully creative!

It sounds very creative and alot of fun. This is something that we all have a passion for and decided to do it on our own and see what happens. We have talked about it for a long time and finally started getting things rolling. The soundtrack is something that i look forward to doing.

Thanks for the tips!!!!

Return to Top