Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#264615 - 10/29/04 02:07 PM Bush cutting overtime pay?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I heard this on the radio, what is this about and who does it affect? Why would you cut overtime pay, some people depend on that.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#264616 - 10/29/04 02:24 PM Re: Bush cutting overtime pay?
QuestionQuest Offline
100 Club
Actually, the rules cut both ways, some professionals were exempted but the pay rate below which everyone is overtime elligible was greatly increased. At my institution, this resulted in a significant increase in the numbers of overtime elligible employees. It is typically those at the lower end of the payscale that are forced to rely on overtime. In addition, we were informed by counsel that the mood at DOL was such that we should be prepared to vigorously defend any decisions resulting in the loss of elligibility. Just my two cents.

Return to Top
#264617 - 10/29/04 04:06 PM Re: Bush cutting overtime pay?
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
I don't remember which news show it was several months ago when this happened - they interviewed the guy who was in charge of the labor department under Clinton. He stated that these changes had needed to be made for years, that the old overtime rules were seriously outdated and needed to be upgraded to match the way people worked now. A study had been implememted several administrations ago and a plan apparently has been worked on sporadically since.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#264618 - 10/29/04 09:46 PM Re: Bush cutting overtime pay?
EdOils Offline
Platinum Poster
EdOils
Louisiana
My wife is in HR and she gets frustrated everytime she hears this. The rules didn't change that much and very few people will actually be affected.

Don't you love the media? I also heard someone saying that with Check 21, the money would be out of your account as soon as you give the check to the merchant. Come on! If you are gonna scare people, at least get your facts straight.

Don't wanna be an American Idiot. One nation controled by the media.

Return to Top
#264619 - 10/30/04 05:10 PM Re: Bush cutting overtime pay?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

What is this about and who does it affect? Why would you cut overtime pay?

The Fair Labor Standards Act was passed years ago at a time when a 40-hour workweek was established as the absolute maximum. Employees who worked beyond a 40-hour workweek were required to be paid time-and-a-half. However, for the most part this affected unionized employees whose contracts had this language, while many non-unionized, at-will employees (without contracts) worked beyond 40 hours (coming in on a Saturday during an important project) without overtime.

Under the recently passed Family Time Flexibility Act, employers can now offer compensation time (comp time) in lieu of paying overtime. The benefit is to the non-union worker who comes in after a 40-hour week, and must now be given comp time if he/she is not paid time-and-a-half. The unionized workers don't like it, because their employers can offer the comp time program when the next union contract is negotiated. The winner in all of this is the employee for a small employer who came in more than 40 hours, previously got no extra money or comp time, and must now be given one or the other. Also, the Flexibility Act mandates that the employee can select when to take the comp time. The Act primarily benefits people with small children who can build up a comp bank and take the time in relation to children issues, without hammering their existing personal days off/vacation time.

Return to Top