Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#350364 - 04/22/05 04:52 PM Identification documents
happyauditor Offline
Platinum Poster
happyauditor
NY
I am having a difficult time finding information on certain types of documents that my bank uses as acceptable froms of identification. For example, does an alien registration card always have an expiration date? Does US military ID always have an issue date and expiration date or does it depend on the branch of service? I realize that the government probably does not want pictures or illustrations of these documents for all the public to see. Any suggestions on a resource that will have this information? Or any direct answers to the 2 examples above?

Thanks!!

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#350365 - 04/22/05 05:06 PM Re: Identification documents
Reads Regs Offline
Diamond Poster
Have you seen the ID Checking Guide that is available for purchase in the BOL Banker Store? Here is a link to it.

http://www.bankersonline.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=1009

I did not purchase this but it looks like it may have what you are looking for.

Return to Top
#350366 - 04/22/05 05:18 PM Re: Identification documents
happyauditor Offline
Platinum Poster
happyauditor
NY
I actually have this book and it is a great source of info for out of state driver licenses and some other forms of ID. However, there are several IDs under the header "Federal Documents" and none where the card itself says "Alien Registration." For example, there are Permanent Resident Cards, Resident Alien Cards, Employment Authorization Cards, Temporary Resident Cards, and Border Crossing Cards...are all of these cards considered "Alien Registration" cards? Or, is there only one true Alien Registration Card?

My problem is that I am not a front-line employee and really am unfamiliar with what documents they (front-line) are actually seeing and accepting. I have the task of auditing the records if I see that an "Alien Registration" was the ID used but no issue or expire date was recorded, is it an error or did that info not exist on the particular ID? Our procedures just states that an Alien Registration card is acceptable ID, so I thought there would be one specific Alien Registration card which clearly states so on the card. Any opinions or answers would be helpful. Thanks.

Return to Top
#350367 - 04/22/05 06:09 PM Re: Identification documents
happyauditor Offline
Platinum Poster
happyauditor
NY
OK, now I am answering my owne questions...maybe I have a split personality

I looked at the ID Checking Guide more closely (page 81 in the 2005 edition) and it seems like the 3 IDs on this page are the Alien Registration cards since they are all described as Form I-551. The one which is the "Permanent Resident Card" appears to be the current one being issued and the other two named "Residetn Alien" are prior issue.

This brings me to another question...are the prior issue ones still "valid" in the eyes of the Gov't? It seems like one of the prior issue cards does not have an expire date and both of the prior issues do not have an issue date. The current issue has both. Assuming the prior issue cards are still valid, this will be difficult to audit...did they "forget" to document the dates or was the ID a prior issue?

Any help or suggestions?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z