Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#409211 - 08/16/05 09:48 PM exam manual and OFAC
Anonymous
Unregistered

on page 208 item 6 second bullet it states:
""Sample appropriate transactions that may not be related to an account (eg, funds transers, monetary instrument sales and check cashing transactions), and evaluate the filtering criteria used to search the OFAC database, the timing of the search, and documentation maintained evidencing the searches"""

first we wonder what they mean by "not related to an account". does that mean non-customers with a customers payroll check to caah. the transaction is related to an accountholder but the person standing there is not a customer and is only related by payroll??

second how would a teller document the search and results. put that on the back of the check, make all kinds of copies and put them into a file, what?

is anyone running OFAC for all the checks they cash?

is anyone running OFAC for all the travelers check, money orders and cashiers checks that they sell??

tellers with lines backed up have a priority to take care of those customers and even thought this is really not new the emphasis of tracking the search and results will add more work to an already busy place.

anyone willing to share their thoughts. please

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#409212 - 08/17/05 02:14 AM Re: exam manual and OFAC
Dolly Nugent Offline
Diamond Poster
Dolly Nugent
Southern California
There is no requirement to check the payee on a check presented at the teller window. Every bank should perform an OFAC risk assessment. Based on the risk assessment you can decide if verifying payee names makes sense for your bank. You may decide that the chances of a hit are remote and decide to keep that teller line moving.

Return to Top
#409213 - 08/17/05 05:35 PM Re: exam manual and OFAC
Darkhorse Offline
Platinum Poster
Darkhorse
out of my mind
Quote:

is anyone running OFAC for all the travelers check, money orders and cashiers checks that they sell??

We don't check the on-us items cashed at the teller line.
We do however (based on audit/exam recommendation) check OFAC on bank checks over a certain dollar amount. We file those copies behind our monetary transaction log. We went through an exam (FDIC) earlier this year and they seemed satisfied with that.

proud 2 b BOLWYWTCCUT

Return to Top
#409214 - 08/18/05 03:26 PM Re: exam manual and OFAC
Quadspapa Offline
Power Poster
Quadspapa
Quadrupletville, Texas
Quote:

Quote:

We don't check the on-us items cashed at the teller line.
We do however (based on audit/exam recommendation) check OFAC on bank checks over a certain dollar amount. We file those copies behind our monetary transaction log. We went through an exam (FDIC) earlier this year and they seemed satisfied with that.

At the FFIEC Regional Outreach meeting yesterday in Dallas, the lady OFAC official (Barbara Hemmerle) stated that banks should check the "payee" on official checks purchased by non-customers against the OFAC list.

Return to Top
#409215 - 08/18/05 03:42 PM Re: exam manual and OFAC
Anonymous
Unregistered

Another reason NOT to do business with non-customers.

Return to Top
#409216 - 08/18/05 03:54 PM Re: exam manual and OFAC
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey, I thought they were singing the "risk managment" song these days?

Return to Top
#409217 - 08/18/05 04:53 PM Re: exam manual and OFAC
Security Guy Offline
Gold Star
Upstate N.Y.
So what they are saying is that there is a higher probability that the payee on a bank check will be on the OFAC list if the check is purchased by a non-customer??? So if we sell bank checks only our own customers, the risk of having an OFAC hit on the payee is less. Still does not sound consistent with the message I've been hearing...let's see what the Regulators in NYC say on Monday.

Return to Top
#409218 - 08/18/05 05:10 PM Re: exam manual and OFAC
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Quote:

So what they are saying is that there is a higher probability that the payee on a bank check will be on the OFAC list if the check is purchased by a non-customer???

No, silly, that's not what they're saying.. What they're saying/implying/assuming/whatever is that your customer is going to be scanned against OFAC on account opening, information changes, list updates, and other kinds of transactions. With a non-customer, this transaction is your one and only chance to scan them in connection with a transaction.

Return to Top
#409219 - 08/18/05 05:22 PM Re: exam manual and OFAC
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
Quote:

Quote:

So what they are saying is that there is a higher probability that the payee on a bank check will be on the OFAC list if the check is purchased by a non-customer???

No, silly, that's not what they're saying.. What they're saying/implying/assuming/whatever is that your customer is going to be scanned against OFAC on account opening, information changes, list updates, and other kinds of transactions. With a non-customer, this transaction is your one and only chance to scan them in connection with a transaction.

AML, you may have misunderstood. They are talking about the PAYEE , not the purchaser of the official check.

Return to Top
#409220 - 08/18/05 05:37 PM Re: exam manual and OFAC
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Well, silly me, I'd assumed that the FFIEC comment was a little out of context, and that you'd be scanning *both* parties. After all, in the case where the payee is not on OFAC, but the payor *is*, you'd be violating OFAC to facilitate the transaction.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z