Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#51443 - 12/31/02 11:41 PM student loans by pheaa and or aes
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am looking for people in Penn. who were at least 18 years old and took out student loans under the PHEAA/AES in Penn. without any type of questioning as how you are going to pay the loan back. Did you provide any type of security to obtain the loan? Did any third party secure the loan for you (Parent)? Did you have a job at the time you took out the loan. In other words, the above organizations and a bank funded your education or a portion of it without any security and you only went to school for say, one semester. Are you stuck with this bill for several thousand dollars? What were the qualifications under which you were given the loan? This gets somewhat complicated but I have issue with the state of PA. and their loan practices to young kids who don't know any better and then have their credit records ruined because of state, PHEAA/AES greed. Opinions, comments, suggestions, answers please. Reply to polysummons@aol.com or to this site. Thanks/Erick

Return to Top
#51444 - 01/03/03 11:57 PM Re: student loans by pheaa and or aes
Anonymous
Unregistered

The beginning of his posting:
"I am looking for people in Penn. who were at least 18 years old...." says it all.

The New Webster's Dictionary defines adult as "a mature, fully grown person, a person who has come of age".
Black's Law Dictionary defines adult as "One who has attained the legal age of majority; generally 18 years".

You were 18, of legal age, responsible for your own actions. As long as the terms were properly disclosed (probably in that fine print which you may or may not have read, but are still responsible for regardless).

"...but I have issue with the state of PA. and their loan practices to young kids who don't know any better and then have their credit records ruined because of state, PHEAA/AES greed".

My response to this is: Once you are 18 you are no longer a 'young kid'. You are an adult. You are entrusted with the right to vote. You can legally own real property. You can enlist in the military and give your life for your country. Being an adult brings benefits AND responsibilities. Credit records are not ruined by the state. Information provided to credit reporting agencies is a reflection of a creditor's experience with your payment habits. You create your own credit history, be it positive or negative. Furthermore, I do not think that you can say that simply expecting someone to repay that which they are legally owed is greed. Additionally, loans given to the students of the future are funded by the repayment of loans by the students of the past.

Please rethink this situation and then re-evaluate your life to see whether you now meet New Webster's definition of an adult.

Return to Top