Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#717700 - 04/17/07 11:10 PM Business Accounts and FDIC Insurance Coverage
Rollerman Offline
100 Club
Everything I've been able to find indicates that Business Accounts do NOT enjoy the same expanded FDIC coverage that personal or trust accounts can enjoy by adding joint owners, beneficiaries, etc. It appears that business accounts, regardless of the number of accounts and the number of owners on the accounts are only insured up to $100,000.

However, I haven't found anything that states it clearly and wanted to make sure before I advise the branch on how to handle the question from our customer. Thanks in advance.

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#717725 - 04/18/07 02:26 AM Re: Business Accounts and FDIC Insurance Coverage Rollerman
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Corporations, Partnerships and Unincorporated Associations cannot expand their deposit insurance coverage. The varied relationships that might be appropriate and routine for individuals have no practical application for an entity. The distinctions do not dwell on the purpose of the account, but on its ownership.

Return to Top
#717838 - 04/18/07 02:16 PM Re: Business Accounts and FDIC Insurance Coverage Elwood P. Dowd
Rollerman Offline
100 Club
Thanks Ken! That's what I thought it meant from how it read but it sure would be nice if they could just add a sentence or two to most regulations just to make them a little more clearer. But heck, if we did that, the legal profession wouldn't have anything to fight over. Thanks again!

Return to Top
#718029 - 04/18/07 04:48 PM Re: Business Accounts and FDIC Insurance Coverage Rollerman
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Oh, they could fight over whose explanation is the clearer.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett