Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1053728 - 09/30/08 03:39 PM Responsibility if no lender-paid fee to broker
lblu Offline
Gold Star
lblu
If a lender does not pay any compensation to a broker for loan referrals (i.e. the borrower pays fees by agreement directly with broker), what responsibilities remain with the lender receiving the referral regarding broker performance required to earn the compensation from the borrower? Does the lender need to ensure that it does not have duplicate charges (ie appraisals, credit bureau reports, etc)?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1053963 - 09/30/08 05:11 PM Re: Responsibility if no lender-paid fee to broker lblu
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
The fee still has to be disclosed as POC on the HUD and you are correct that there cannot be any duplicate fees.

I would get a copy of the broker agreement for documentation that you are not directly or indirectly paying the broker for the referral.

Return to Top
#1119924 - 01/30/09 03:29 PM Re: Responsibility if no lender-paid fee to broker Dan Persfull
Compliance Audit Offline
100 Club
In this case - what about the origination fee - if the borrower pays the broker according to a separate agreement, can the bank also charge an originaton fee.

Return to Top
#1119977 - 01/30/09 04:05 PM Re: Responsibility if no lender-paid fee to broker Compliance Audit
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Who's originating the loan request, you or the broker? Wouldn't the broker be originating the request and you processing the request.

An exert from the linked document:

http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/res/resp0222.cfm

. . . While mortgage brokers may receive part of their compensation from a lender, where the lender payment duplicates direct compensation paid by the borrower for goods or facilities actually furnished or services actually performed, Section 8 is violated. . . . .

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z