Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1686586 - 04/06/12 05:17 PM Customer Copy of Signature Card?
Loving Life Offline
100 Club
Loving Life
Florida
Do you provide your customers with a copy of their signature card if they request one?

It has always been our practice NOT to provide copies of bank documents but we have received several requests for sig card copies recently. It made me wonder if other banks typically provided these documents when requested.....

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#1686587 - 04/06/12 05:21 PM Re: Customer Copy of Signature Card? Loving Life
M Cockrell Offline
Diamond Poster
M Cockrell
Dallas, TX
As a consumer, if you didn't provide me with a copy of EVERY document you ask/require me to sign, I'd refuse to do business with you.

And, yes, we have always provided copies.
Last edited by M Cockrell; 04/06/12 05:44 PM. Reason: failed to answer original question

Return to Top
#1686589 - 04/06/12 05:26 PM Re: Customer Copy of Signature Card? Loving Life
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
It has not been an issue at my bank but as a customer I would feel the same way as M Cockrell.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1686603 - 04/06/12 05:50 PM Re: Customer Copy of Signature Card? Loving Life
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Are they asking for blank copies or copies of the one they signed?

If you are referring to blank copies we would not give one to them. If you are referring to the one they signed we would provide them a copy of that one.

Return to Top
#1686786 - 04/07/12 01:42 PM Re: Customer Copy of Signature Card? Loving Life
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Banks use what are described as "adhesion" contracts. They are one-sided arrangements where one party has all of the bargaining power; e.g. if I cross out a couple things and add some interliniations on your signature card you are not going to open the account.

Accordingly, courts bend over backward to make certain the person signing an adhesion contract is treated fairly. Customers should automatically get a copy of anything they sign. If they want a copy of something they signed 5 years ago, they should get that too.

Your lawyer's worst nightmare is to give a witness on the stand a document to verify its authenticity and have the witness day, "I don't know if that's the one I signed or not; I never got a copy and the bank refused to give me one when I asked for it later."

Return to Top
#1686821 - 04/09/12 12:54 PM Re: Customer Copy of Signature Card? Elwood P. Dowd
Loving Life Offline
100 Club
Loving Life
Florida
Thank you all for your responses. They were a great help to me.

Return to Top
#1686859 - 04/09/12 02:16 PM Re: Customer Copy of Signature Card? Loving Life
Zoo Mama Offline
100 Club
I have had to provide copies of signature cards for every account my husband had to the Clerk of Court to settle his Estate. One bank refused to provide it and the Clerk subpeoned the signature card through the court. THe Clerk, the court and hte other bank were not happy with each other.

Return to Top
#1686873 - 04/09/12 02:57 PM Re: Customer Copy of Signature Card? Zoo Mama
Al Miller Offline
Diamond Poster
Al Miller
Pleasanton CA USA
CA has the Consumer Contract Awareness Act that requires that consumers get copies of everything they sign. Signature cards are to be blank copies not including personal information.

Al

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett