Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1692200 - 04/24/12 08:35 PM Re: Woman Donates Kidney for Boss; Boss Fires Her; A_G
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Originally Posted By: Mr. A_G-DDD™
The boss couldn't even use it though! laugh

Boss needed a kidney. Employee donated a kidney (she was not a match to the boss's type) to the "pool" on behalf of the boss. That shaves YEARS off the time boss has to wait for a kidney because boss got a "credit" of a kidney even though someone else received it. So, boss definitely benefited from the generous donation of employee.

In my humble opinion, boss is a gigantic jerk and should never have fired this employee so quickly after she returned to work after saving boss's life! How ungrateful and hardhearted this boss was!

Staggeringly, 18 people per DAY die while waiting for an organ transplant. This boss should be forever in this employee's debt IMHO.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1692216 - 04/24/12 08:53 PM Re: Woman Donates Kidney for Boss; Boss Fires Her; Bob The Banker
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Bob The Banker
The boss probably got upset because her recovery was quicker then the woman who donated and might have thought she was milking it. However, recovery is far easier for the recipient than the donor of kidney.

That's what it sounded like to me.

Return to Top
#1692269 - 04/25/12 05:15 AM Re: Woman Donates Kidney for Boss; Boss Fires Her; A_G
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
I liked the comment from someone who said they were willing to donate a middle finger.

Return to Top
#1692270 - 04/25/12 05:17 AM Re: Woman Donates Kidney for Boss; Boss Fires Her; HappyGilmore
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
donating a kidney makes you a good person, not a good employee...

Really? That's where you want to go on this?

Or is this well disguised sarcasm?

I need a sign.

Return to Top
#1692356 - 04/25/12 02:32 PM Re: Woman Donates Kidney for Boss; Boss Fires Her; HappyGilmore
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City

If you're serious, I'm happy that you're not my boss.

Return to Top
#1692364 - 04/25/12 02:48 PM Re: Woman Donates Kidney for Boss; Boss Fires Her; A_G
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I agree with Happy. I've had employees who were the nicest, most generous people in the world but that were horrible at their jobs.

I would hope that the person who donated the kidney did so because it was the right thing to do and not to ensure her employment regardless of performance or worse yet to gain praise and notoriety. Being a living donor is a very honorable thing, and the fact that she did so to someone she was not even related to makes it even more so, but should she expect a free ride at work for life because of it?

Return to Top
#1692365 - 04/25/12 02:50 PM Re: Woman Donates Kidney for Boss; Boss Fires Her; thomasj
A_G Offline
10K Club
Some people don't know how to separate personal and professional life. Naturally there is going to be some overlap, but at the end of day...

Return to Top
#1692371 - 04/25/12 02:55 PM Re: Woman Donates Kidney for Boss; Boss Fires Her; Bankbb1, PITA
A_G Offline
10K Club
Imagine for the rest of this boss/subordinate relationship - the never-ending reminders: "I gave MY kidney to YOU!" "It's because of ME why YOU'RE still living." (Now can I have a raise?)

Some people are like that you know.

Return to Top
#1692375 - 04/25/12 02:58 PM Re: Woman Donates Kidney for Boss; Boss Fires Her; A_G
Aggs Offline
Diamond Poster
Aggs
Hoosier Country
I don't understand... She didn't donate a kidney to her boss, why are all the news outlets saying "Woman donates kidney to her boss and gets fired for absences." Totally skewed storytelling right there. I guess I would be mad if that were the case, but it's not.

She made a choice. Nobody knows why she donated a kidney to begin with. If she was tested to see if she was a match to her boss, great. But if you're not a match, you just go and donate to some other random person? And then get pissed because you lost your job because you weren't doing it well?

I don't know the whole story, I doubt I ever will with all this crazed reporting about this. Bottom line is, she either got screwed by an evil boss OR she simply sucked at her job and got fired.

Opinions expressed in these threads are my own and not my employer's.

Return to Top
#1692690 - 04/26/12 12:48 PM Re: Woman Donates Kidney for Boss; Boss Fires Her; ACBbank
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: ACBbank

I'm very serious...we know nothing about this employee or the boss, except the limited information given in a poorly written article, yet everyone is assuming the employee was fired because they missed days due to illness. We have no idea, but the fact stands...you can donate any organ, still be a great person, and a terrible employee. Over teh course of many years I've worked with some of the nicest people I've ever known, yet our line of business was clearly not for them. Doesn't make them bad people, just in our business a bad employee. For all we know, the employee was a bad employee to begin with, and did this hoping to get some sort of pass on their poor performance.

So, if we find out that the employee also embezzeled $100,000 from the company, does that change your stance? Or should they get a pass on that as well? After all, they donated a kidney...

What if the boss had been through chemo and lost their hair, and the employee did a locks of love donation to make a wig. Would this grant them a forever pass as well?

I would hope a good reporter would have looked at the reason for the termination and included it within the story, as that would have been very beneficial. Then again, it is possible that they looked into it, saw the termination was for cause and not related to the donation, but then realized "hmm, then I wouldn't have a good story, or any story at all" and decided to make the article ambiguous, so it got more airplay.

Oh, and I had an employee that worked for me several years back that donated a kidney to her brother, she was out for 5 weeks, my only concern was making sure that we continued to pay her full salary even though she had been through her alloted leave and was on short term disability. Took a while to convince HR that it was the right thing to do, and in the end they relaented and agreed. So, honestly, i am exactly the type of boss you would want to work for.
Last edited by HappyGilmore; 04/26/12 01:00 PM. Reason: clarification

Return to Top
#1692754 - 04/26/12 01:54 PM Re: Woman Donates Kidney for Boss; Boss Fires Her; HappyGilmore
Zoo Mama Offline
100 Club
I agree. Donating a kidney (or any other personal sacrifice) to someone should not be a marker for a lifetime guarantee of employment. Perhaps she donated the kidney to keep from being fired to start with? We know very little except what she ran to the media with so I am sure there is more to tell than what has been broadcast.
And I sit patiently as I wait for Investigative Reports to jump on it.

Return to Top
#1692765 - 04/26/12 02:06 PM Re: Woman Donates Kidney for Boss; Boss Fires Her; HappyGilmore
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster
Bobby Boucher
Down Yonder
What if...the employee did a locks of love donation to make a wig.

::Minion passes out at the thought of how long this would take::

I would hope a good reporter would have looked at the reason for the termination and included it within the story, as that would have been very beneficial. Then again, it is possible that they looked into it, saw the termination was for cause and not related to the donation, but then realized "hmm, then I wouldn't have a good story, or any story at all" and decided to make the article ambiguous, so it got more airplay.

This was my thought as well.

Return to Top
#1692787 - 04/26/12 02:31 PM Re: Woman Donates Kidney for Boss; Boss Fires Her; A_G
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
The article states that the woman donated a kidney in August of 2011 and was pressured to return to work in September; then was demoted and ultimately fired. Happy is right that we don't have ALL the details; maybe the woman was always a bad employee; we don't know. But it *sounds* like what got the termination train rolling was this woman not returning to work in what the boss thought was a timely manner and that does seem impossible to fathom in some ways: if somebody donates a kidney on your behalf, it seems you would pick another time/place/situation to fight the "i want to terminate this employee" battle. In fact, if she was always a bad employee, wouldn't a better time to have fired her been before she donates you a kidney? "Boss...i'm going to donate you a kidney." "Thank you. That reminds me.....you've always been a bad employee....you're fired. Thanks again for the kidney donation."
Last edited by raitchjay; 04/26/12 02:48 PM. Reason: add extra thought

Return to Top
#1692846 - 04/26/12 03:38 PM Re: Woman Donates Kidney for Boss; Boss Fires Her; HappyGilmore
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City

I'm very serious...we know nothing about this employee or the boss, except the limited information given in a poorly written article, yet everyone is assuming the employee was fired because they missed days due to illness. We have no idea, but the fact stands...you can donate any organ, still be a great person, and a terrible employee. Over teh course of many years I've worked with some of the nicest people I've ever known, yet our line of business was clearly not for them. Doesn't make them bad people, just in our business a bad employee. For all we know, the employee was a bad employee to begin with, and did this hoping to get some sort of pass on their poor performance.

So, if we find out that the employee also embezzeled $100,000 from the company, does that change your stance? Or should they get a pass on that as well? After all, they donated a kidney...

What if the boss had been through chemo and lost their hair, and the employee did a locks of love donation to make a wig. Would this grant them a forever pass as well?

Oh, and I had an employee that worked for me several years back that donated a kidney to her brother, she was out for 5 weeks, my only concern was making sure that we continued to pay her full salary even though she had been through her alloted leave and was on short term disability. Took a while to convince HR that it was the right thing to do, and in the end they relaented and agreed. So, honestly, i am exactly the type of boss you would want to work for.

You're right that we don't know all of the facts. However, you're stretching by the embezzlement example. You're also stretching that the author changed things around for the benefit of their story. Following that train of thought, we can question anything published by any author. If you she did something illegal, that's different. But the article suggested that she was terminated as she didn't return to work quick enough. We automatically assuming that the reason stated by the author is wrong? Why? Based on what?

Return to Top
#1692851 - 04/26/12 03:41 PM Re: Woman Donates Kidney for Boss; Boss Fires Her; HappyGilmore
Jokerman Offline
10K Club

I'm very serious...we know nothing about this employee or the boss, except the limited information given in a poorly written article, yet everyone is assuming the employee was fired because they missed days due to illness. We have no idea, but the fact stands...you can donate any organ, still be a great person, and a terrible employee. Over teh course of many years I've worked with some of the nicest people I've ever known, yet our line of business was clearly not for them. Doesn't make them bad people, just in our business a bad employee.

:Like:

Return to Top
#1692928 - 04/26/12 05:07 PM Re: Woman Donates Kidney for Boss; Boss Fires Her; ACBbank
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster
Bobby Boucher
Down Yonder
But the article suggested that she was terminated as she didn't return to work quick enough. We automatically assuming that the reason stated by the author is wrong? Why? Based on what?

I think you said it right ^^^there. The assumption is not that the author is wrong, but that there is much more to the story. This was an opinion piece, not a news article. FWIW, the author also suggested that Dick Cheney didn't deserve a new heart...

Return to Top
#1692957 - 04/26/12 05:32 PM Re: Woman Donates Kidney for Boss; Boss Fires Her; ACBbank
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club

You're right that we don't know all of the facts. However, you're stretching by the embezzlement example. You're also stretching that the author changed things around for the benefit of their story. Following that train of thought, we can question anything published by any author. If you she did something illegal, that's different. But the article suggested that she was terminated as she didn't return to work quick enough. We automatically assuming that the reason stated by the author is wrong? Why? Based on what?

Yes, I am stretching with the embezzlement example, but for a very good reason. The author did write the article to lead you to the conclusion that the employee was terminated for not getting back to work soon enough, but that isn't what he actually says. It was written to make you draw that conclusion, and it appears to have worked. And I'm not assuming the author is wrong, I'm suggesting that the author omitted a large number of facts to make this opinion-piece-disguised-as-a-news-story exactly what it is.

If you know anyone who writes for a newspaper or any other media outlet, they will tell you that they always omit information if it helps sway the article in the direction they want it to go.

So, we either have an incomptent reporter who didn't think to ask the specific reason of termination and include this important information in this article (do you think if the employee was actually terminated for not getting back to work soon enough this wouldn't be a huge lawsuit? There is a requirement for medical release, after all...), or we have an author who asked and knows the reason of the termination but leaves it out to make the story grittier - oh, and it also got past an editor whose first question probably was "why specifically was the employee fired?".

Return to Top
#1692969 - 04/26/12 05:52 PM Re: Woman Donates Kidney for Boss; Boss Fires Her; A_G
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Not buying it Happy. I actually know quite a few reporters, not bloggers or any of the social media "reporters" and they would whole heartedly disagree with what you just said. Once again you're making very broad claim about reporters omitting information. While I don't doubt that some may do that, once again, you're stretching.

On a side note, you're assuming a law suit isn't forthcoming? Maybe a settlement has happened? Who knows? I don't doubt that some pieces of the puzzle are missing, but I don't think that we should automatically assume that something big is missing without a valid reason to question this author's veracity.

Return to Top
#1692974 - 04/26/12 05:59 PM Re: Woman Donates Kidney for Boss; Boss Fires Her; A_G
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
AC - don't you think if a lawsuit was in the works it would have been mentioned in this article? Or if a settlement was made? Or should we assume this reporter is so new to writing that they didn't think to ask these key questions?

I'm glad you have faith that the media is 100% on the up and up, I guess the term yellow press was invented for nothing.

And have you asked your reporter friends if they omit material, or are you assuming they would say that?

A valid reason to question the author's veracity? The entire poorly written article is a valid reason.

Return to Top
#1692988 - 04/26/12 06:20 PM Re: Woman Donates Kidney for Boss; Boss Fires Her; B_F
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Originally Posted By: B_F
Originally Posted By: Bob The Banker
The boss probably got upset because her recovery was quicker then the woman who donated and might have thought she was milking it. However, recovery is far easier for the recipient than the donor of kidney.

That's what it sounded like to me.

Are y'all saying the recovery experience of the recipient of a kidney transplant is easier than for the donor of the kidney. What do you base that on?

Return to Top
#1693005 - 04/26/12 06:43 PM Re: Woman Donates Kidney for Boss; Boss Fires Her; HappyGilmore
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
AC - don't you think if a lawsuit was in the works it would have been mentioned in this article? Or if a settlement was made? Or should we assume this reporter is so new to writing that they didn't think to ask these key questions?

I'm glad you have faith that the media is 100% on the up and up, I guess the term yellow press was invented for nothing.

And have you asked your reporter friends if they omit material, or are you assuming they would say that?

A valid reason to question the author's veracity? The entire poorly written article is a valid reason.

There are many, many lawsuits which when settled are subject to NDA's. The majority of us work for banks and know exactly what I'm talking about. But let's ignore that for the moment. I never said 100% of the media is honest, I merely disagreed with your paint brusing all reporters as self serving. But I did look at the article again and it did look somewhat suspect.

Ok, should we now question CBS as well? Is this artcile written well enough for your approval?

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/04/23/hicksville-woman-files-complaint-in-kidney-donor-case/

If not, how about the Huffintongpost where is says a discrmination lawsuit is going to be filed?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/23/kidney-transplant-donor-debbie-stevens-fired_n_1446441.html

Return to Top
#1693035 - 04/26/12 07:18 PM Re: Woman Donates Kidney for Boss; Boss Fires Her; A_G
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
A lawsuit may have an NDA, that doesn't mean you can't say a settlement was reached that can't be disclosed...

The CBS article is very good, getting feedback from each side. Much better job of giving factual information.

Have you asked your reporter contacts if they've ever omitted information from an article they wrote in order to change the slant of the story?

And I'm not saying the media is dishonest, ommitting or not including information is not technically dishonesty...but it certainly is not 100% truthful.

Return to Top
#1693076 - 04/26/12 07:49 PM Re: Woman Donates Kidney for Boss; Boss Fires Her; A_G
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
ACB

not exactly the same thing but have you seen todays local paper about another local paper

http://www.longislandpress.com/2012/04/26/newsday-muzzled-under-cablevision-control-insiders-charge/

CAMS

Return to Top
#1693098 - 04/26/12 08:06 PM Re: Woman Donates Kidney for Boss; Boss Fires Her; A_G
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Happy, I'm still at work, so no I have not. I'm actually going to watch the draft with a couple tonight, so I will ask. I get what you're saying. I never said that the media was 100% truthful either. But who is? Seriously. Are we going to discount everything we read now? I'm not saying don't question it, but don't write it off as BS either.

Ed, pop blocker/spam filter won't let me open the link?
Last edited by ACBbank; 04/26/12 08:06 PM. Reason: typo

Return to Top
#1693106 - 04/26/12 08:10 PM Re: Woman Donates Kidney for Boss; Boss Fires Her; A_G
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Sorry that is the Long Island Press (beating on Newsday)even my filter allows it.

CAMS

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3