Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1975410 - 11/08/14 08:09 PM EFT Dispute - Facebook & Google charges
Val C Offline
New Poster
Minnesota
We have a customer who is disputing about 20 miscellaneous charges from Facebook & Google. They have a significant history of regular charges from both places going back 2 years. We can't call either place to discuss but I can't get in touch with the customer to get more info from them. How can I investigate these? They appear to match normal account activity but the Facebook ones just have codes so I can't be sure exactly what they are for. The total is over $800. Appreciate any assistance.

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#1975411 - 11/08/14 09:43 PM Re: EFT Dispute - Facebook & Google charges Val C
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Customer says they are unauthorized. Have them complete an affidavit and send the back. What is to investigate? Cancel the card - think hard about issuing a new one.

Return to Top
#1976203 - 11/13/14 07:44 PM Re: EFT Dispute - Facebook & Google charges Val C
happyauditor Offline
Platinum Poster
happyauditor
NY
rlcarey - please clarify...

I thought requiring an affidavit for a Reg E error was not allowed (you could ask but you cannot deny based solely on their not filling it out). If they do not fill out the affidavit are you suggesting they deny the claim?

Or are you suggesting pay the claim and cancel the card and do not issue a new one?

If charges appear to match normal activity for the customer, couldn't that be used as a basis for denial? I am basing this on the following guidance at http://www.occ.gov/static/news-issuances/memos-advisory-letters/2001/advisory-letter-2001-9.pdf, which states:

To assist national banks in complying with EFTA and Regulation E error resolution procedures, the OCC has compiled a list of actions banks may take to help determine whether a transaction was authorized. A reasonable investigation under Regulation E might include review of one or more of the following items:

-Documentation or written, signed statements provided by the customer.
-Historical information on the customer’s pattern of use (e.g., time, frequency, location, and
types and amounts of transactions).
-Location of the transaction in relation to the customer’s residence, place of business, or
normal shopping locations.
-Customer’s location at the time of the unauthorized transaction.
-Problems reported by other customers regarding the access device or ATM.
-Signature information on point of sale transactions.
-Police reports, if available.
-Film from security cameras, if available.
Last edited by happyauditor; 11/13/14 07:46 PM.

Return to Top
#1976237 - 11/13/14 08:23 PM Re: EFT Dispute - Facebook & Google charges Val C
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Yes - you can do all of that and no - you cannot require an affidavit.

However, if the customer wants to expedite the process, suggest they complete the affidavit and move on. If not, by all means deny the claim based on passed transaction history if the customer refuses to provide any additional information.

Banks spend why too much time on all of this trying to figure who is telling the truth. If you can, just return the dang transaction and let the merchant and the customer battle it out without the bank stuck in the middle. You're already losing money on every click of the minute hand on the clock.

I have no problem with a customer that has a legitimate claim, but if I even get a sniff that the customer is gaming the bank - it would be the last debit card transaction that will ever be processed for them at the bank.

Return to Top
#1976241 - 11/13/14 08:30 PM Re: EFT Dispute - Facebook & Google charges Val C
happyauditor Offline
Platinum Poster
happyauditor
NY
Thanks rlcarey.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett