Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2032465 - 08/07/15 07:42 PM PSP (Professional Service Provider)
aBSAlife4me Offline
Would you consider a doctor's office a 'PSP' as far as what the FFIEC considers a 'High Risk' business.??

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2032476 - 08/07/15 07:48 PM Re: PSP (Professional Service Provider) aBSAlife4me
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
No. As the FFIEC manual states "a professional service provider acts as an intermediary between its client and the bank".
So, lawyers, accountants, investment brokers and others may be applicable.

However, practicing medicine is one of those specified activities for which a CTR exemption cannot be granted.

Return to Top
#2032486 - 08/07/15 07:56 PM Re: PSP (Professional Service Provider) aBSAlife4me
aBSAlife4me Offline
Thanks Doug. I've gone back and forth on this particular business line. I was thinking along the lines of how we risk rate each individual account (Low, Moderate, High), not CTR Exemptions.

I found this in the FFIEC Manual : http://www.ffiec.gov/bsa_aml_infobase/pages_manual/olm_005.htm

Under Customer and Entites topic heading, the last line reads "Professional service providers (e.g., attorneys, accountants, doctors, or real estate brokers)."

Just wanted to see if anyone else out there is classifying a doctor as 'High Risk'..

Return to Top
#2032491 - 08/07/15 08:04 PM Re: PSP (Professional Service Provider) aBSAlife4me
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
This topic came up at Top Gun last March. What drives the PSP designation is if the customer is handling funds that does not belong to them. (For example a lawyer has a LFTA where it holds client funds from settlements, an accountant may receive investment funds, an insurance broker may take premium payments.)

Generally a doctor is not engaged in this activity. They perform services, the patient or insurance company pays them. Some doctors have set up their own finance companies to establish payment plans for patients that cannot afford to pay in a lump sum. From a money laundering standpoint, it is possible that a doctor could create false invoices to commit insurance fraud or to accept patient payments for services they have not actually provided to aid their "patients" in getting funds into the banking system.

Does this make a doctor high risk? No. As with all clients, you should develop an understanding of the size of the practice, anticipated activity, etc. and review activity that seem inconsistent with a doctor's office.

Return to Top
#2032508 - 08/07/15 08:24 PM Re: PSP (Professional Service Provider) aBSAlife4me
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
Brian, as always, has laid it out very succinctly.

Return to Top
#2036327 - 08/28/15 08:27 PM Re: PSP (Professional Service Provider) Doug Hendrickson
MDShoregirl Offline
Would a rental agent who opens security deposit escrow accounts be considered a PSP?

Return to Top
#2036330 - 08/28/15 08:35 PM Re: PSP (Professional Service Provider) MDShoregirl
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:
What drives the PSP designation is if the customer is handling funds that does not belong to them.

Return to Top
#2036341 - 08/28/15 09:04 PM Re: PSP (Professional Service Provider) Elwood P. Dowd
MDShoregirl Offline
'K laugh

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z