Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2123968 - 03/28/17 04:30 PM Fraudulent Cashier's checks
Tanya Offline
New Poster
We recently learned that our institution's cashier's checks are being counterfeited. What is our obligation, if any, to report this incident and how do we report it?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2123970 - 03/28/17 04:38 PM Re: Fraudulent Cashier's checks Tanya
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If you are a National Bank:

National banks that become aware of counterfeit or stolen financial instruments are encouraged to notify the OCC's Special Supervision Division by e-mail at occalertresponses@occ.treas.gov or telephone at (202) 649-5470, and are required to notify law enforcement of certain suspected violations of law and suspicious transactions by filing a Suspicious Activity Report pursuant to 12 CFR 21.11.

I'm not aware of similar guidance from the other agencies, but maybe someone else can chime in.

Welcome to BOL smile

Return to Top
#2123987 - 03/28/17 05:27 PM Re: Fraudulent Cashier's checks Tanya
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
I have received notice for this type of activity through a service called Crimedex which I was introduced to through Bankers Online but I don't know what obligations you may be under to report it. I might reach out to our primary regulator and see what guidance they have.

Return to Top
#2124031 - 03/28/17 08:11 PM Re: Fraudulent Cashier's checks rlcarey
Tanya Offline
New Poster
Thank you for the information.

We have already filed a SAR on the incident, just want to make sure we don't have any other obligations.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett