Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#226264 - 08/11/04 04:52 PM South Florida Weather Alert
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looks like the hurricanes are gonna hit us, is everyone prepared?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#226265 - 08/11/04 05:32 PM Re: South Florida Weather Alert
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
I live in Ohio and I'm wondering if it is going to affect me.... My Bengals are going down to Tampa for the first preseason game this weekend!

Return to Top
#226266 - 08/11/04 06:51 PM Re: South Florida Weather Alert
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
I was on vacation last week in Gulf Shores, AL., boy and I am glad that I am not there this week.

We did have a great time down there. Gotta love the ocean and the beach.

Return to Top
#226267 - 08/11/04 07:01 PM Re: South Florida Weather Alert
Anonymous
Unregistered

It looks like Tampa may have to stay advised of Charley.

Return to Top
#226268 - 08/11/04 07:03 PM Re: South Florida Weather Alert
Anonymous
Unregistered

We're preparing for the worst here. We're right on the coast in Ft. Myers FL. Hopefully it'll just be a category 1 and nothing to really be concerned with.

Return to Top
#226269 - 08/12/04 01:38 AM Re: South Florida Weather Alert
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
I just talked to my daughter, she and her husband just moved back to Pensacola. She isn't too worried.
She did say they should change Charley's name to Clyde and then they would be Bonnie and Clyde.

Return to Top
#226270 - 08/12/04 04:30 AM Re: South Florida Weather Alert
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

I just talked to my daughter, she and her husband just moved back to Pensacola. She isn't too worried.
She did say they should change Charley's name to Clyde and then they would be Bonnie and Clyde.

That would have been too cool. Why didn't the weather service think of it?

Return to Top
#226271 - 08/13/04 12:31 AM Re: South Florida Weather Alert
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
No imagination. My daughter is also 8 months pregnant. Hope the low pressure from the storm doesn't put her into labor. It has been knot to happen (not to her but to others )

Return to Top
#226272 - 08/13/04 01:29 AM Re: South Florida Weather Alert
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Quote:

That would have been too cool. Why didn't the weather service think of it?

They can't, the names are preassigned going forward quite a ways. I always thought I should get my name on the list

I hope all of our friends and collegues are safe through this, as well as their families! I'm thinking I don't have to batten down the hatches yet. Keep your sunami's down there will you?

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#226273 - 08/13/04 11:38 AM Re: South Florida Weather Alert
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I hope all our friends in FL are safe, they say it will just get progressively worse today.

Return to Top
#226274 - 08/13/04 01:03 PM Re: South Florida Weather Alert
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
It's amazing what the mind latches onto under stress. My sister was packing up her insurance agency (taking the server with her), packing up irreplaceables, and preparing for a mandatory evacuation yesterday. What was she worring about? Her swimming pool! It has a leak and she was afraid there wouldn't be any water in it when she came home. I gently reminded her of the Hurricane, and that there would not only be plenty of rain to take care of that leak, be there would probably be mullet jumping in her pool when she returned home!

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#226275 - 08/13/04 01:26 PM Re: South Florida Weather Alert
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

It's amazing what the mind latches onto under stress. My sister was packing up her insurance agency (taking the server with her), packing up irreplaceables, and preparing for a mandatory evacuation yesterday. What was she worring about? Her swimming pool! It has a leak and she was afraid there wouldn't be any water in it when she came home. I gently reminded her of the Hurricane, and that there would not only be plenty of rain to take care of that leak, be there would probably be mullet jumping in her pool when she returned home!

ROFL

Return to Top
#226276 - 08/13/04 07:51 PM Re: South Florida Weather Alert
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Does she have any "Mullet Wear"? I've seen hats and shirts down south with a Mullet Wear logo. I got a hat at the Placida Seafood Festival for MOML and it has Mullet Wear on the front and on the back it says, Who Says You Don't Have To Look Good While Fishin?

Return to Top
#226277 - 08/13/04 08:51 PM Re: South Florida Weather Alert
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Don't think she has the Mullet Wear - I may have to get her some for Christmas! Seriously though, it's worrying when you're not there. We've been through a lot of hurricanes growing up in FL. She's just moved inland - away from the waterfront- to stay with friends. It will still be pretty bad for her. Hope your home comes through okay, Nanwa. Amazing things happen during these storms. Perhaps your home will be an amazing story.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#226278 - 08/13/04 11:44 PM Re: South Florida Weather Alert
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Our HR director is there on vacation. Her family moved inland and now Charlie is heading right toward them. Some vacation.

Return to Top
#226279 - 08/14/04 03:29 PM Re: South Florida Weather Alert
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
Quote:

We're preparing for the worst here. We're right on the coast in Ft. Myers FL. Hopefully it'll just be a category 1 and nothing to really be concerned with.

Anon, you got hit with the worst of Charlie. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. The devestation was awesome.

Return to Top
#226280 - 08/14/04 04:11 PM Re: South Florida Weather Alert
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega Offline
Diamond Poster
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega
A Grant Wood painting.
I was born in Sanford. How bad did it get there?

Return to Top
#226281 - 08/16/04 06:44 PM Re: South Florida Weather Alert
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Here in Naples. FM Beach and Charlotte County got slammed. God Bless those folks during these hard times. It was the first hard hit in 44 years, not too bad odds. Most of those who lost their lives were in trailers and didn't decide to leave when asked. A shame really. Thanks for the concern. Oh, and the Orlando area just got hit with some heavy rains and winds. I believe just some trees down and pool cages tore up, nothing too too bad.

Return to Top
#226282 - 08/16/04 08:21 PM Re: South Florida Weather Alert
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
I too had the pleasure of being on vacation in Florida when Charley came to visit. I had my daughter at Disney. Several trees went down in the Orlando area and we saw some damage to buildings along the highway as gusts were up to 105mph and some of the Disney signs were broken. They closed all parks at 1:00 PM on Friday to "Welcome Charley" and the Animal Kingdom was closed all day Friday and Saturday with the animals in their below ground holding areas.

Needless to say the Savannah View room at the Animal Kingdom Lodge did not offer the best viewing on those days but as the glass panes were made to withstand 130mph winds, all inside were safe.

Also, Orlando international airport was closed all day Saturday so some flights were disrupted and there was damage to the terminals (ceiling tiles were missing as they were reduced to crumbs on the very wet carpet) but my Sunday flight was only delayed by around 15 minutes.

It was the worst they had seen since 1992. My bus driver going back to the airport had a tree in his bedroom and his neighbor's auto was in a tree (you might have seen it on the news).

My daughter was pleased to add it to yet another thing she has lived through. She has informed me that now she only needs to survive a volcanic eruption .

Return to Top
#226283 - 08/17/04 06:10 PM Re: South Florida Weather Alert
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
Quote:

I live in Ohio and I'm wondering if it is going to affect me.... My Bengals are going down to Tampa for the first preseason game this weekend!

Michael - how about those Bengals

Return to Top