Learn More - Click Here!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#278516 - 11/23/04 09:01 PM Re: Pacers/Pistons Brawl
Chi Offline
Platinum Poster
Chi
New England
Michael, you don't seem to understand that ELI MANNING HAS ONLY PLAYED ONE GAME.

You keep on talking about how Eli Manning will fail in the long term, yet you only seem to be able to talk about how poorly he has done in the short term. The funny thing is, your argument completely falls flat, because if you look at the short term, Manning improved from the 1st half to the 2nd half.

You have no statistics to back your claims up. So far, as a quarterback, he is just as good as his brother was in his first game, and look where Peyton is now. All you talk about is how his "daddy spoke for him" and how "he is overrated".

Funny how you can't turn the same criticisms upon George W. Bush.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#278517 - 11/23/04 09:01 PM Re: Pacers/Pistons Brawl
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Yeah, and that is why Eli had one sack and Warner had six. Warner will check his first read, and if it isn't there, he wil hold it and hold it and hold and .........

still hold it.

He has been quoted as saying he would rather take the sack than throw the ball away. Well, that helps your completion percentage, but not much else.

Football is not baseball and stats can be very misleading.

MP, this argument will go on for a long time, since you argue his career will stink, not just this season.

Sorry that I asked the loaded question to start this, but I couldn't resist.

Return to Top
#278518 - 11/23/04 09:02 PM Re: Pacers/Pistons Brawl
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Yes, I am talking about his college years and his preseason games. Maybe he's a slow starter like Aikman, but the fact is, #1 pick QBs don't have the luxury of being slow starters.... They get paid too much.

i agree with michael. i think he is going to be a bust. i hope he does. i definitely don't think he'll even live up to peyton's standards. that dude is on fire.

not everyone is a fast learner, look at bobby boucher.(sp?) the fonz turned him into a great linebacker.

Return to Top
#278519 - 11/23/04 09:03 PM Re: Pacers/Pistons Brawl
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Michael, you don't seem to understand that ELI MANNING HAS ONLY PLAYED ONE GAME.

You keep on talking about how Eli Manning will fail in the long term, yet you only seem to be able to talk about how poorly he has done in the short term. The funny thing is, your argument completely falls flat, because if you look at the short term, Manning improved from the 1st half to the 2nd half.

Actually I'm not looking at just one game, I'm looking at several seasons, the preseason games, AND ONE REAL GAME. You are only looking at one game, I'm looking at the big picture.

Return to Top
#278520 - 11/23/04 09:04 PM Re: Pacers/Pistons Brawl
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Why am I (a fan) allowed to yell insults at basketball players, but can't get away with this at a tennis match or a golf tournament? If I did this at work, do you think I'd still be employed? I used to get strange stares when I'd acknowledge the opposing team made a great play. Sportsmanship is a lost value.

I made the decision years ago not to take my son to college/pro sporting events because some ***hole decides he/she want's to repeat every George Carlin word.

Amen, brother (sister)!!!
For basketball, it's gonna come down to surrounding the arena with plexi glass same as hockey.

It's still as simple as this. Drunk and/or obnoxious spectators are not allowed at golf tournaments or tennis matches. Other sports ought to adopt the same stance. I'm not saying people should yell for their team. That's the nature of the sport. But security needs to squash all the other nonsense and they need to NOT SERVE ALCOHOL AT SPORTING EVENTS!!!!!!!! Drink a soda or water. Eat popcorn. Have a good time. Don't spoil it for us sober civilized fans.

Yep, sportsmanship is a lost value. I play soccer. When the opposing team scores a goal and the goal was the result of an excellent play, I'm the first to give the players congrats! I get some weird looks when I do that.

Return to Top
#278521 - 11/23/04 09:16 PM Re: Pacers/Pistons Brawl
Chi Offline
Platinum Poster
Chi
New England
Quote:

Actually I'm not looking at just one game, I'm looking at several seasons, the preseason games, AND ONE REAL GAME. You are only looking at one game, I'm looking at the big picture.

Thaat makes sense. Because, you know, college football games and pre-season are exactly like regular season NFL games.

Please.

So, if you're using all of these as a measure of success, where are your statistics backing up your claims?

Return to Top
#278522 - 11/23/04 09:44 PM Re: Pacers/Pistons Brawl
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

Just to clear up some things, especially the referral about being a fan from Detroit and being ashamed.

Anon, I was the one that made the quote about being ashamed. I did not mean that you should be ashamed to be a Detroit fan, but, as a fan, you should be ashamed of the fans behavior to provoke such an incident.

As previously said, and to paraphrase, it's sad that one rotten apple has to spoil the whole barrel.

Return to Top
#278523 - 11/23/04 10:36 PM Re: Pacers/Pistons Brawl
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

Thaat makes sense. Because, you know, college football games and pre-season are exactly like regular season NFL games.

Please.

So, if you're using all of these as a measure of success, where are your statistics backing up your claims?

Actually failing in college is worse than in the NFL. As for stats, I'm basing it on what I saw, if you really want, I'll look up stats after thanksgiving for you, after Eli has another lousy week. You can keep dreaming about him being the best ever!

Return to Top
#278524 - 11/23/04 10:46 PM Re: Pacers/Pistons Brawl
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Actually failing in college is worse than in the NFL.

Yeah, like that loser Priest Holmes.

Return to Top
#278525 - 11/23/04 10:54 PM Re: Pacers/Pistons Brawl
Anonymous
Unregistered

2003 Ole Miss

NAME.........G....ATT...COM...PCT....YDS...YDS/ATT...YDS/G...INT...TD
Eli Manning..13...441...275...62.4...3600....8.2..........276.9....10....29

AWFUL, JUST AWFUL! What were those NFL scouts looking at???

Return to Top
#278526 - 11/23/04 10:59 PM Re: Pacers/Pistons Brawl
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

You can keep dreaming about him being the best ever

Who said he was the best ever?

Return to Top
#278527 - 11/24/04 02:07 PM Re: Pacers/Pistons Brawl
Chi Offline
Platinum Poster
Chi
New England
Quote:

Actually failing in college is worse than in the NFL.

So what happens when you succeed in college to the greatest degree, but fail in the NFL. After all, Ron Dayne won a Heisman, and look what he is doing now.

College performance is not always a good barometer for judging NFL talent. NFL coaches and scouts know MUCH, MUCH more than we do about the game. There's a reason why Eli went first in the draft.

Quote:

You can keep dreaming about him being the best ever!

Best ever? Who said anything about that? We're just talking about Eli being a successful QB in the NFL. After all, Phil Simms wasn't the best ever, but he was a franchise QB who lead the Giants to success.

Return to Top
#278528 - 11/24/04 03:43 PM Re: Pacers/Pistons Brawl
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Michael, your arguments that Eli will not make it in the NFL do not make sense. I sense that you are either an Ole Miss hater or a NY hater and are just talking smack. If it comes true that he does not make a good NFL QB, your prediction will just be dumb luck because nothing you have identified as a problem, this early in a career, has been a good indicator of a NFL QBs sucess in the past.

You may be right on this one just by playing the odds because many top QB draftees don't pan out for a variety of reason that don't become readily apparent until their 3rd or 4th season.

Return to Top
#278529 - 11/24/04 06:45 PM Re: Pacers/Pistons Brawl
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Z, the arguments are sensible, you just want to believe what you read about him. And it's not dumb luck to stand out against others.

Was it dumb luck when the very first man said the world wasn't flat?

Return to Top
#278530 - 11/24/04 07:37 PM Re: Pacers/Pistons Brawl
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Z, the arguments are sensible, you just want to believe what you read about him. And it's not dumb luck to stand out against others.

Was it dumb luck when the very first man said the world wasn't flat?

Thanks for telling me what I want. I have not read one word on Eli Manning since he joined the NFL and precious little before that. I have seen him play on TV.

"It is not dumb luck to stand out against others." What does that mean? I just don't think you have made your case. My point has nothing to do with you standing out against others. Have I made a prediction about his future? No. I don't think you or I have enough information to make a prediction. There would be greater upsets in this world than for ELi to prove you right, but when issuing an opinion on a yes/no question, even a blind pig is going to pick the right answer occasionally--without any supporting evidence whatsoever.

Was it dumb luck for the first person who said the world is round? Well, for the first person we have record of saying that the answer is, "no," but he could articulate his evidence that it was round. He was scoffed, ridiculed and punished for this belief. Hey, wanna be ridiculed???

Oh well, contact me in five years or so to tell me you told me so. Until then this is a fruitless argument about future events.

Return to Top
#278531 - 11/24/04 09:48 PM Re: Pacers/Pistons Brawl
Bankster Offline
Diamond Poster
Yinzerville, PA
I truly believe that if Eli was with the Steelers, and Big Ben with the Giants, the Steelers would still be doing just as well. They are just a better team. As far as Eli being a bust or bad pick, that's just non-sense.

Return to Top
#278532 - 11/26/04 06:51 PM Re: Pacers/Pistons Brawl
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why this thread turned into an Eli Manning discussion I'll never know. However, whether Eli will succeed or bust remains to be seen. He will be (fair or not) a product of the system he's in, much like Peyton. What makes Peyton great right now is the time he has to throw. I don't care what your name is, was, or what your father did for a living. If you don't have time throw, you won't be successful or considered great, whatever that means today. Just look at Archie. Great talent, better an average arm, but with no time to throw - not even close to the Hall of Fame.

Return to Top
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3