Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#874918 - 12/18/07 03:30 PM Placing Hold on a CD for a deposit to Checking?
Magpie Banker Offline
New Poster
Can we place a hold on a CD for a large check deposited to a checking account for which the customer needed immediate credit?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#874966 - 12/18/07 04:03 PM Re: Placing Hold on a CD for a deposit to Checking? Magpie Banker
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If you have the following clause in your availability disclosure:

C-7--Holds on Other Funds (Other Account)

If we accept for deposit a check that is drawn on another bank, we may make funds from the deposit available for withdrawal immediately but delay your availability to withdraw a corresponding amount of funds that you have on deposit in another account with us. The funds in the other account would then not be available for withdrawal until the time periods that are described elsewhere in this disclosure for the type of check that you deposited.

Return to Top
#875406 - 12/18/07 09:14 PM Re: Placing Hold on a CD for a deposit to Checking? rlcarey
Magpie Banker Offline
New Poster
Thanks for the information. I checked our disclosures and we have the same verbage.

Return to Top
#876066 - 12/19/07 06:48 PM Re: Placing Hold on a CD for a deposit to Checking? Magpie Banker
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Unless that CD is approaching maturity or the bank has a liberal pre-maturity withdrawal policy, doesn't the hold seem a bit in the "overkill" category? Did it buy you anything you didn't already have in the way of protection if the check came back dishonored?

I'm not suggesting that what you did was wrong, just questioning if it was necessary.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett