Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1279142 - 11/03/09 04:22 PM Caught Kite Early - What do do with leftover funds
Yada...Yada...Yada... Offline
Gold Star
We caught a kite early, starting sending checks back and holding deposits. While we're still waiting for the dust to settle, I anticipate having a $10,000-$20,000 balance remain in the account becuase the other bank did not catch it in time and paid the checks. In this case where we may have excess funds, what do we do? We have frozen the account and basically closed it, but are waiting for any checks to be sent back. I'd hate to give the excess funds to the customer if the other bank lost, but what can I legally do?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1279150 - 11/03/09 04:33 PM Re: Caught Kite Early - What do do with leftover funds Yada...Yada...Yada...
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
contact the other bank involved and tell them you believe you've caught a kite, ask them to review their records, see if they would be willing to "adjust" items outside of the normal return window. If they are short, they will likely love to return the items and have you reimburse them.

And make sure you also contact the local police and/or district attorney as you move to prosecute!
Last edited by HappyGilmore; 11/03/09 04:34 PM.

Return to Top
#1279205 - 11/03/09 04:55 PM Re: Caught Kite Early - What do do with leftover funds HappyGilmore
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
If you do permit the other bank to "adjust" its losses as Happy suggests you consider doing, be sure to get a "hold harmless" agreement from that bank that will protect you if your customer attempts to push back legally, alleging late returns.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett